Education & Training
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to demonstrate a basic level of understanding of the principles and techniques of teaching reading and writing in an ESL setting as evidenced by completion of course assignments and classroom activities.
- be able to create a lesson plan designed for English language learners that focuses on reading and writing tasks as evidenced by completion of course assignments and classroom activities.
- Week 1: Learning to read in another language
- Week 2: Learning to recognize and spell words
- Week 3: Intensive reading
- Week 4: Extensive reading
- Week 5: Principles and techniques for helping students improve reading speed
- Week 6: Assessing reading proficiency
- Week 7: Principles for teaching writing
- Week 8: The writing process
- Week 9: Topic types for reading and writing
- Week 10: Responding to written work
- Week 11: Final course review and assessment
- Attendance 90% or above
- Students must complete all assignments as indicated by course syllabus.
- Final computed average must be at least 85%.
- ESL Instructor