What is barbering?
Barbering consists of hair cutting, shaving, trimming the beard, coloring the hair, applying hair tonics, permanent waving, massaging the face and scalp, and treating the hair with oils, creams, lotions or other preparations either by hand or mechanical appliance.
Do you want to become a barber?
Attend a required online information session to learn about registration fees, admission requirements, books, kits, uniforms and program schedule.
Check the website on the day you are planning to attend, as times and dates are subject to change.
Please email William Graham at [email protected] to reserve your spot for an online information session. Include your preferred date, time and the best email address where you can be reached. A link will be emailed to you before the information session begins.
Upcoming information sessions
- May 23: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- May 24: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- June 6: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- June 7: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- June 20: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- June 21: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- July 11: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- July 12: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- July 25: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- July 26: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- August 8: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- August 9: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- August 22: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- August 23: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- September 5: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- September 6: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- October 3: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- October 4: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- October 17: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- October 18: 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
Training leading to certification
Learn the art of barbering and prepare for the North Carolina Board of Barber Examiners certification exam and apprentice license.
- One-year program (1,728 hours). Day and evening classes are offered.
- Classes will be held at Wake Tech's Public Safety Education Campus.
Course details and registration information
Barbering I - IntroductionBAR-3100I7
Are you creative? Do you enjoy networking? Do you want a career instead of a job? Have you dreamed of owning your own business? If so, the barbering field may be for you! Become part of an industry that’s always in demand! Prepare for employment as an apprentice and as a reg...