ESL Teaching Certificate
THE TRAINING YOU NEED FROM THE PEOPLE YOU TRUST
Wake Tech has long been one of the largest providers of adult ESL instruction in the state of North Carolina. Today we are also an industry leader in ESL teacher education having served NC Community College ESL instructors statewide as well as sending graduates abroad. Whether you are looking for a career change, a ticket to see the world, or a profitable part-time income, we can help you reach your goals. You will learn from professionals who are working in the field and have proven track records with adult English language learners. Eight required courses cover the basics, including principles of adult ESL instruction, second language acquisition theory, intercultural competency, and others.
- Taught in a relaxed atmosphere, using an interactive and hands-on approach.
- A 42-hour teaching practicum allows students to work alongside a veteran instructor in one of Wake Tech’s adult ESL classrooms.
- Rigorous standards ensure that graduates are ready to go to work.
*Please note that this is not a K - 12 credential.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENT
Enrollment in the program is open to anyone with a bachelor’s degree or higher. The program is also open to rising juniors and seniors currently enrolled in four-year post-secondary institutions (a minimum GPA of 2.5 and a letter of recommendation is required). It is not necessary to have experience in teaching to enroll in the program. Non-native English speakers must submit a qualifying TOEFL score.*
- *TOEFL test date must be within the last 24 months. Computer based TOEFL scores must be 213 or higher with a score of at least 17 on three sections and no section score below 13. The paper-based test requires a score of 550 or higher with scores of 50 on at least two of the three sections and no section score below 45. Internet-based TOEFL scores must be 20 points each on Reading, Writing, and Listening, and 26 points on Speaking.
DO YOU NEED FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM?
The ESL Teaching Certificate is an approved NCWorks job training program. Grant funding is provided to qualified recipients through the Workforce Innovations and Opportunities Act. For more information, please contact the NC Works Career Center at 919-715-0111.
Attendance at an orientation session is strongly suggested prior to enrolling in the program.
FACE-TO-FACE ORIENTATIONS - 7:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. at the Beltline Education Center
(Can't make a face-to-face session? Contact us to receive program materials by email.)
- Wednesday, July 11, 2018
- Tuesday, July 31, 2018
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018
- Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Tuesday, October 16, 2018
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Susan Ballard ESL Teaching Certificate, Program Specialist
Industry-recognized credential: ESL Teaching Certificate
Complete in: 18 month or less