ESL Teaching Certificate
What would an ESL teaching credential mean to you?
- A career change
- A ticket to see the world
- A profitable part-time income
Wake Tech has long been one of the largest providers of adult ESL instruction in the state of North Carolina. Today, we are also an industry leader in ESL teacher education.
Six required courses cover the fundamentals of adult ESL instruction including principles of adult ESL instruction, second language acquisition, intercultural competency, lesson planning, grammar, and instructional technology.
- Courses are currently taught online.
- A 42-hour, fully-supervised practicum conducted at Wake Tech allows students to work alongside a veteran instructor.
- Rigorous standards ensure that graduates are ready to go to work.
*Please note that this is not a K–12 credential.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENT
- A postsecondary degree is not required to enroll in this program. However, please be advised that the ESL Teaching Certificate Program courses are taught at a college level and students should expect rigorous, graded course work.
- Non-native speakers are welcome to take ESL Teaching Certificate Program courses. Non-native speakers are required to submit qualifying scores on the Internet-based TOEFL test before being permitted to take the practicum. Qualifying scores: 20 points each on the Reading, Writing, and Listening sections; 28 points on the Speaking section.
- The TOEFL test can be waived if the student receives unanimous endorsement from the course instructors.
NEED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
Grant funding may be provided through one of the following options:
- NC Works, www.ncworks.gov
- Career Pathways Program & Student Resources at Wake Tech, choosemypath.waketech.edu
DATES FOR VIRTUAL ORIENTATIONS
- Monday, June 15, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, July 16, 7 p.m.
- Monday, August 3, 7 p.m.
Industry-recognized credential: ESL Teaching Certificate
Complete in: 18 month or less
The courses below can be taken individually, for your own personal enrichment, or as a part of the class series required for the ESL Teaching Certificate Program.
Instructional Technology for ESL TeachersEDU-3005C21 available classes
Learn how to integrate various technologies into the ESL classroom to engage and reinforce learning. Use websites and internet applications to enhance instruction and make lesson planning more efficient. In this course, you’ll learn how to design and create tools to enhance...
Language Acquisition and Adult LearnersEDU-3002C21 available classes
An important part of ESL instruction is understanding how languages are learned. This course presents adult learning theory and theories of first and second language acquisition, comparing and contrasting them. It also examines how personal characteristics and social and sit...
Lesson Planning for the ESL ClassroomEDU-3002Z31 available classes
This course shows students how to create lesson plans for a language acquisition classroom, including writing measurable objectives and organizing practice activities. It covers instruction for multi-level classrooms specifically and includes practice in creating lesson plan...
Methods and Materials for Teaching English As A Second LanguageEDU-3002F31 available classes
This course presents various approaches, methods, and techniques for teaching English as a Second Language. It provides students with the theoretical underpinning to determine how these approaches can be used in an adult ESL classroom. The course includes lectures and teachi...
Nuts and Bolts of Teaching Grammar to English Language LearnersEDU-3002F21 available classes
English grammar can be a challenge – for both students seeking mastery and for instructors trying to explain rules and their exceptions. Whether you are tutoring, teaching overseas, or working in a community college, this course will give you the tools to become a successful...
The Role of Culture in Teaching ESLEDU-3002I21 available classes
Culture has been described by some as the "fifth skill" in language acquisition, equal in importance to reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Helping learners make sense of the culture that is intertwined with language is integral to the role of an ESL instructor. Lea...
Teaching Pronunciation to English Language LearnersEDU-3002E3
Embrace the challenges of teaching pronunciation in an adult ESL classroom. Learn why it’s important, and how to incorporate phonetic practice into other activities. Find out how to identify students' needs and learn practice activities. You will plan and present a pronuncia...