What is Barbering?
Barbering consists of hair cutting, shaving, trimming the beard, coloring the hair, applying hair tonics, permanent waving, massaging the face and scalp, treating the hair with oils, creams, lotions or other preparations either by hand or mechanical appliance.
Do you want to Become a Barber?
Attend a Required Online Information Session:
Learn about registration fees, admission requirements, books, kits, uniforms, and program schedule.
Please check the website on the day you are planning to attend, as times and dates are subject to change.
Please email William Graham at [email protected] to reserve your spot for an online information session. Please include your preferred date, time, and the best e-mail address to reach you at. A link will be sent to your e-mail address before the information session begins.
Training Leading to Certification
Learn the art of barbering, and prepare for the NC Board of Barber Examiners certification exam and apprentice license.
- 1-year program (1,614 hours). Day and evening classes are offered.
- Classes will be held at Wake Tech's Public Safety Education Campus
After at least one year of on-the-job training, student is eligible to take the Registered Barber License examination.
Financial Assistance Available:
Course Details & Registration Information
- Learn Study Skills, The History of Barbering, Professional Image, Bacteriology, Infection Control and a Safe Work Practices
- Learn Implements, Tools, and Equipment, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry
- Learn Shaving and Facial Design, Men’s Haircutting and Styling, Haircoloring and Lightening, and Barbershop Management
- Lesson 1 & 2:
• Study Skills
• The History of Barbering
• Professional Image
• Barbershop Management
- Lesson 3 & 4:
• Infection Control
- Lesson 5 & 6:
• Safe Work Practices
• Implements, Tools, and equipment
- Lesson 7 & 8:
• Anatomy and Physiology
- Lesson 9 & 10:
- Lesson 11 & 12:
• Shaving and Facial Design
- Lesson 13 & 14:
• Men’s Haircutting and Styling
• Haircoloring and Lightening
- NC Barber License
- Attendance 90% or above
- Professional Barber-Stylist
- Barbershop Management - BAR-3100E7
- NC Barber Instructor Exam Prep - BAR-3100D7
- Barbering III - Advanced - BAR-3100C7