EMS Continuing Education (including EMT)
Wake Tech offers several non-degree EMS courses open to the public and EMS professional year-round through the college’s Workforce Continuing Education branch. These courses vary in length based upon the topics offered and are posted in the college’s Online Registration Page.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
This course introduces basic emergency medical care. Topics include preparatory, airway, patient assessment, medical emergencies, trauma, infants and children, and operations. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve North Carolina State or National Registry EMT certification
Students should have strong computer skills and internet access. EMT courses are offered every semester
Students who successfully complete the EMT course and receive their EMT credential will be eligible to receive 9 credit hours in the Associate of Applied Science degree in Emergency Medical Science.
- Registration Fees: $180 registration, plus $18 campus access fee
- Textbook: $147.51
- Uniform: $34 (one shirt)
- CPR Card Fee: $3
- Fisdap: $105
*Other than Registration, all fees listed are approximated
Before you can enroll in the EMT course, you will need to meet certain requirements:
Step 1: Submit EMT Course Prerequisites
- Email Sheila Weathersbee at [email protected] to schedule a time to bring in your documentation. Fisdap information will be provided at that time.
- Please note that for privacy reasons, we will not accept emailed copies of any documents. You must come in person to deliver your documentation. Please make sure that you have all of your documentation with you when you come in. We will not accept partially completed packets.
- Copy of high-school diploma, GED, or college degree (transcripts must have a graduation date and institution name.) No photographs allowed. Photocopy of the original diploma only. The copy of the diploma should be without the diploma holder or frame.
- Copies of immunization records. (The required immunizations are listed below and MUST be submitted prior to registration.) Immunization Checklist
Proof of purchase of a Fisdap account (A purchase receipt MUST be submitted prior to registration.)
Students will not be able to register online until the above three requirements have been met.
Step 2: Wait for Clearance!
Once your documentation is approved, you will receive an email giving you clearance to register online. Course and textbook information will be included in the email.
After receiving the clearance email, please register online and pay all applicable fees. If the class you are looking for is not listed below, it is either not being offered at this time or it is full.
Note: If you are affiliated with a fire, rescue, or EMS agency, please do not register online. Instead, contact Sheila Weathersbee at [email protected].
Step 3: Double-check to make sure that you have:
- Submitted the required prerequisite documentation;
- Received your clearance email; and
- Registered and paid once cleared.
Registration closes five (5) business days before the first day of class or as soon as the class is full.
Course Details & Registration Information
Emergency Medical Technician InitialEMS-4200A4
This course introduces the concepts of basic emergency medical care, including airway, patient assessment, emergencies, trauma, pediatrics, and operations. Upon completion, students will be able to demonstrate the skills necessary to function as an Emergency Medical Technici...
Emergency Medical Technician RefresherEMS-4201A4
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to renew their NC Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) credential.