Registration & Student Records

Curriculum class schedules are available online before the start of the upcoming semester, through Plan & Schedule; Login to Self Service:

To view the schedule:

  1. Click on the Academics icon (4th icon down) in the left side navigation
  2. Select Course Catalog
  3. Look for the desired course(s); you can also click on Advanced Search to search with additional criteria

Instructions and help are available at

Ref #

Curriculum students begin registration at different times, depending on their status as: 

  1. Newly-admitted students;
  2. Returning degree/diploma/certificate-seeking students, based on the number of credits completed at Wake Tech;
  3. Non-degree-seeking students; or
  4. High school/Career & College Promise/early admission students. 

Registration priority dates and other important registration and payment dates can be found on the Registration and Records website:  

Ref #

The state of North Carolina subsidizes tuition at NC public colleges and universities for all students whose permanent legal residence, or domicile, is in North Carolina. Students pay “in-state” or “out-of-state” tuition based on a residency determination process. The statute places the burden of proof on the student to establish, by a preponderance of evidence, that they are a bona fide domiciliary rather than mere residents of North Carolina.

Effective October 23, 2017, Wake Tech added the Residency Determination Service (RDS) process to its admission procedures. All prospective applicants must complete the online residency determination before they can apply to the college. Most will be required to complete only the Initial Consideration process. Current students whose circumstances change or who believe their status is incorrect must complete the Reconsideration and Appeal process. Students are responsible for notifying Registration and Records if a change in residency status occurs. Wake Tech can update a student's tuition statement due to a change in residency within a given term; however, we cannot adjust for previous terms.

Upon completion of the residency determination process, students will be issued a Residency Certification Number (RCN) that can be used at all public colleges in North Carolina. 

All residency determinations will be made by RDS and not the college. However, Wake Tech staff may be able to assist students with employer sponsorships, military benefits, and other exceptions allowed by the state.

More information about residency requirements and the NC Residency Determination Service is available at

Ref #

Wake Tech Registration and Student Records is responsible for all student records and for the protection of student rights as provided by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Transcripts of academic record will be issued only with written authorization by the student.

Official copies of transcripts may be obtained in person at Southern Wake, Scott Northern Wake, Research Triangle Park (RTP) and Perry Health Sciences campuses with a photo I.D. Transcripts may also be obtained by mail from Registration and Student Records, Wake Tech Community College, 9101 Fayetteville Road, Raleigh, NC 27603; download an order form online at

Wake Tech also offers online transcript ordering, including secure pdf transcripts in partnership with National Student Clearinghouse. A direct link can be found at

Mail and online transcript requests will be processed within two business days. Official Wake Tech transcripts are $5 per copy when ordered directly with Wake Tech; online requests through the National Student Clearinghouse will incur a service fee. Unofficial copies are available at no charge; however, pursuant to State Board of Community Colleges Code 200.2, no transcripts will be provided to students with outstanding debt to the college.

Ref #

Prior learning is a means by which students can satisfy graduation requirements by applying transfer work and credits from placement examination. When granted, students are given an equivalency for the prior learning work meaning that it is deemed equivalent to a specific Wake Tech course. However, no academic credit is awarded, and thus the equivalency does not count toward the student’s grade point average.

Equivalencies will be noted on the official transcript as transferred equivalencies or non-course equivalencies. Equivalencies will be taken into consideration for program completion at Wake Tech only. Acceptance of prior learning work at one college does not necessarily mean that acceptance will be given at every college. Students are encouraged to review the prior learning policies at any college they may be considering to transfer or enroll.

Ref #

Students seeking credit for non-transferable learning experiences for any course, except College/University Transfer and Pre-Curriculum may request a challenge examination. Subject matter for which credit is sought must be equivalent to the course(s) being challenged. Challenge examination requests will not be accepted for incomplete or failed coursework. Note: Not all courses can be challenged. Please refer to divisional staff for specifics on courses to be challenged within their division.

Requests must be made with full justification to the appropriate academic dean or designee at the time of registration. Upon approval, students will be directed to contact the Individualized Learning Center on Southern Wake Campus or the dean or department head to schedule the challenge examination. Students who successfully challenge a course will receive credit for the course with a grade of "X". The course will not enter into grade-point average computations but will count toward total hours earned.

Students challenging the Spanish (SPA 120) class are required to submit a challenge form. This course may be challenged at their first class meeting or by appointment with the department head for foreign languages. Students who challenge the SPA 120 class will receive non-course work equivalency for the course. No grade will be recorded. The equivalency will not enter into the grade-point average computation.

Students should make every effort to start the challenge examination process as soon as they register for a course, as some divisions have restrictive challenge examination procedures. 

Students must take all challenge examinations no later than the 10% point of the semester or term. Results of challenge examinations will be mailed after the exams have been graded and result forwarded to the Registrar’s Office.

Students must register and pay tuition for courses to be challenged and must submit requests for challenge examinations after registering. To receive credit on the transcript record, it is necessary to remain registered for a class that has been challenged successfully. Students may not challenge ENG 111, 112, 113, and 114 or any other College/University Transfer courses; instead, students may take the appropriate CLEP, AP, or DANTES exam.

Most challenge exams are administered within the appropriate department, however, a select number of courses, including BUS 110, 121, 137, 147 and 153 may be taken in the Individualized Learning Center (ILC) on Southern Wake Campus. Students challenging these select courses must obtain approval from the division dean and contact the ILC (919-866-5276) to schedule an appointment to take the exam. Both the division dean-approved form # 610 and student photo identification are required for ILC-administered challenge exams.

Ref #

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers students the opportunity to earn college-level placement for knowledge acquired outside the classroom. All CLEP credit will be evaluated on the basis of the receiving institution’s policy. The chart below outlines the Wake Tech equivalencies that will be given for CLEP examinations. To view Wake Tech equivalencies for CLEP visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type College Board into the Institution Search box.  Please be sure to notice the minimum score in the note field for each equivalency.

To learn more, visit College Board at

Ref #

The College Entrance Examination Board sponsors an advanced placement program that enables high school students to complete college-level courses and to demonstrate college-level achievement through examinations. Wake Tech will award non-course work equivalency for students who meet minimum scores on AP exams according to the following chart. These equivalencies can then be applied toward the student's graduation requirements.

Note to students pursuing College Transfer degrees (Associate in Arts or Associate in Science, etc.) or students intending to transfer courses to UNC-system schools: "Advanced Placement (AP) course credits awarded for a score of three or higher, are acceptable as part of a student's successfully completed general education core under the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement. Credit for two successive courses can only be awarded with a score of five.

Only one course of credit may be awarded for the AP Calculus AB exam. A score of three may award credit for MAT 263 (four credit hours) while a score of four or five may award credit for MAT 271 (four credit hours). A score of three on the Calculus BC may award credit for only MAT 271 (four credit hours). A score of four or five on the Calculus BC exam may award credit for two courses, MAT 271 and MAT 272 (for a total of eight credit hours). Students who receive AP course credit at a community college but do not complete the general education core will have AP Credit awarded on the basis of the receiving institution's AP policy. Transferred-in courses from institutions other than North Carolina community colleges are not a part of this agreement. 

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for AP credit visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type College Board into the institution Search box. Please be sure to notice the minimum score in the note field of each equivalency. 

Ref #

The DANTES (Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support) program is a testing service conducted by Educational Testing Service for the Department of Defense. DANTES’ mission is to help service members obtain credit for knowledge and skills acquired through non-traditional educational experiences. DANTES Subject Standardized Tests provide a way for military personnel to obtain credit by examination for knowledge of material commonly taught in college courses.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for DANTES visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type DSST Program Exams into the Institution Search box.  Please be sure to notice the minimum score in the note field of each equivalency.

Ref #

Prospective students who have military experience may be able to obtain some equivalencies toward an AAS degree, diploma, or certificate for training received in military services. Individuals seeking equivalency for military training must have an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) sent to the college. 

The JST is a uniform transcript of all military training and experiences for service members in all branches and includes Army Officer and Warrant Officer training, joint military training conducted by other services, and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)-funded test scores. To obtain your official JST, visit: The appropriate dean or department head will evaluate the transcript, and equivalency will be awarded as appropriate.

Ref #

Students with a CPC, CCA or CCS-P rating within the last six years will receive credit for the courses listed in TES, our transfer equivalency library.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for Medical Coding visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Medical Coding into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

Students applying for entry into the Business Analytics program will be granted equivalency for earning the SAS Certified Base Programmer certificate.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for the SAS Base Programmer Certificate visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type SAS Base Programmer into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

The main objective of foreign language placement exams is to determine the best level for students to continue their French or Spanish language studies at Wake Tech. It is to the students’ advantage to be placed into the appropriate course allowing them to improve their language skills at Wake tech, so that upon transfer, students may successfully continue their studies at a four-year institution.

Even though credits earned through the placement exam count towards graduation requirements at Wake Tech, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor to determine how credits earned through placement may affect their transfer status, degree completion, and financial aid. The implications of credits earned through the placement exam may vary based on individual student pathways to transfer.

Students may be eligible to take a foreign language placement exam if they fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. The student has recently earned a grade of B (87%) or better consistently in three (3) courses of high school study of the same language.

2. The student has recently lived or studied in a French or Spanish speaking country, for more than six (6) months.
3. The student has interacted and/or communicated in French or Spanish on a daily basis at work or in another formal setting.

Information about French and Spanish Placement Exams
Note: Students who have completed a curriculum foreign language course at Wake Tech are not eligible to take placement exams.

Placement exams are free to Wake Tech students; they may be taken only once. Exams are given using computerized adaptive software. The exam length is 5-40 minutes, and results are given immediately. Students must present a photo ID.

Students who successfully place out of FRE and/or SPA 111/181 will need to withdraw from that class and enroll in the appropriate level of language to study. Alternatively, they may enroll in another class that they may need to meet their degree requirements at Wake Tech. If students have questions regarding which classes they should take for their degree program at Wake Tech, they need to consult with an Academic Advisor.

Ref #

Students applying for entry into: Office Administration, Office Administration/Legal, and Medical Office Administration programs will be granted equivalency for the courses listed in TES, our transfer equivalency library, upon documented proof of exam completion.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for Certified Administrative Profession (CAP) visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Certified Administrative Professional into the Institution Search box. 

Ref #

The following illustrates curriculum credentials which will be awarded for third party credentials including Microsoft Certification, Cisco Course Completion and Certifications. As well as CompTIA, HDI, Information Tech Infrastructure (ITIL), Red Hat and VMWare certifications.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for Computer Concepts visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Computer Concepts into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

The LPN to ADN Advanced Placement Option awards eligible licensed practical nurses 19 credit hours toward the Associate Degree Nursing program, pending successful completion of core nursing courses. Applicants must meet all standard admission requirements for the Associate Degree Nursing program and must have completed BIO 168, BIO 169, BIO 175, ENG 111, PSY 150, PSY 241, and SOC 210.

Students should contact the Associate Degree Nursing Department Head or a Health Science Admissions Counselor with questions about admission criteria. 

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for LPN to ADN visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type LPN to ADN Advanced Placement into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

Students may receive prior learning through certification. Students should contact the Department Head of EMS with questions about additional prior learning.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for Emergency Medical Services Certifications visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Emergency Medical Services into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

Wake Tech will award equivalencies for specific CAGC courses in partial fulfillment of program requirements leading to an Associate in Applied Science degree, diploma, or certificate in Construction Management Technology. The college will award equivalencies as listed in TES, our transfer equivalency library, after review of an official transcript from CAGC.

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for the Carolinas Associated General Contractors Articulation Agreement visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Carolinas Associated General Contractors into the Institution Search box.

Ref #

The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the North Carolina Community College System have a statewide articulation agreement through which students may be eligible for college credit following the completion of identified Career Technical Education (CTE) courses in high school. This agreement creates a systemic and seamless process through which students can move from high school to community college without duplicating efforts or repeating courses..

Criteria used to award college credit for identified CTE courses include the following:  

  • Final grade of B or higher in CTE course.
  • A RAW score of 93 or higher on standardized CTE post-assessment test (score revision effective fall 2012).
  • To receive articulated credit, students must enroll at the community college within two years of his or her high school graduation date.
  • Credit is not automatically awarded, students must visit the Registrar’s Office at Wake Tech to request the credit be applied toward their Wake Tech record.

The student’s official high school transcript must include the CTE post-assessment scores.

Community college officials are responsible for verifying and accepting the articulated courses on the high school transcript for college credit.

Ref #

Students may receive credit for achieving acceptable scores on the International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations.  To view Wake Tech equivalencies for IB credit, visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type International Baccalaureate into the Institution Search box. Please notice the minimum score in the note field of each equivalency.

Ref #

To view Wake Tech equivalencies for Business and Industry visit TES, our transfer equivalency library, and type Business and Industry Equivalencies into the Institution Search box. Credit can also be awarded at the discretion of the dean or department heard.


Ref #

Transferred Coursework 
Wake Tech considers courses for transfer equivalency from other colleges or accredited collegiate institutions through a commission whose responsibility is accrediting degree-granting institutions classified as collegiate, and that is housed in a regional or national accrediting agency.

Only those courses with a grade of "C" or higher will be considered for transfer. To receive credit for a specific Wake Tech course, the transferring course must be equivalent in content (and in college/university transfer credit hours) to a Wake Tech course. Official transcripts from accredited institutions will be reviewed against established standard equivalencies and transfer equivalency recommended by the appropriate dean or a designee. 

All decisions about transfer equivalency are discretionary on the part of the college: whether equivalency will be allowed, how much will be allowed, and how it will be applied. In exercising this discretion, the college will apply principles recommended by its regional accreditor and national higher education organizations that set standards for transfer credit. These principles focus on the level, content, quality, and comparability of a course and its relevance to the student’s intended program of study.

It is not necessary for students to request a review of transferred coursework. Students should submit official transcripts to the Admissions Department. Transcripts will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for initial review against established standard equivalencies. Once the transfer credit review is complete, the accepted credit is applied and noted on the student’s academic record. Students may review their transfer credit on their transfer credit summary. 

Please note that a granted equivalency does not mean that it satisfies a graduation or program requirement; that depends on whether the course is listed as a requirement on the curriculum schedule for the specific program (major) in which the student was enrolled when admitted to the college. The academic dean has the option of moving the student to a more current version of the program of study (curriculum schedule). If a student changes programs (major), he or she should speak with an advisor to determine which transfer credits, if any, apply to the new program.

Example: A student may be given transfer equivalency for ACC-101 Fundamentals of Accounting, which the student completed while an accounting major at XYZ College.  However, the student is now enrolled at Wake Tech in Nursing and ACC-101 is not a required course in Nursing.  Therefore, the course would not be applicable toward graduation requirements at Wake Tech.

Transfer credit does not factor into a student’s curriculum GPA calculation. A grade of TA, TB, or TC is awarded for the transferred credit internally to aid with financial aid evaluations. These transfer credit grades do not appear on the student transcript.  Students must complete at least 25% of the hours required for a degree, diploma or certificate in residence at Wake Tech.

Transfer Equivalency Practices
As the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of College and Schools (SACS-COC) Transfer of Academic Credit position paper states: “The Commission supports institutional autonomy in determining its own standards for transfer of academic credit while also encouraging institutions not to impose artificial impediments or meaningless requirements on the transfer process. The accreditation standards of this Commission require member institutions to analyze credit accepted for transfer in terms of level, content, quality, comparability, and degree program relevance.” 

The “Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit” created by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, the American Council on Education, and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation establishes similar standards. These national organizations have identified three fundamental considerations: 

  1.  the educational quality of the learning experience which the student transfers;
  2. the comparability of the nature, content, and level of the learning experience to that offered by the receiving institution; and
  3. the appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered by the receiving institution, in light of the student's educational goals.

 It is Wake Tech’s practice to accept the following categories of courses as meeting the considerations outlined above:

  1. matching courses from North Carolina community colleges;
  2. equivalent courses from participants in the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement;
  3. comparable courses from regionally- and nationally-accredited institutions of higher education

These categories also meet requirements of the State of North Carolina and its agencies; these requirements are detailed in each section. Courses that do not fit into one of these three categories (including foreign transcripts) will be considered individually by the director of the program to which the student is seeking admission.

Matching Courses from North Carolina Community Colleges
In accordance with the State Board of Community Colleges Code (1D SBCCC 400.97) which reads, “When a student receives credit for a Combined Course Library course, this credit shall be transferable to any college in the North Carolina Community College System,” Wake Tech will accept:

  • all matching courses from other NC community colleges for transfer credit;
  • matching courses from other NC community colleges to meet Wake Tech program and prerequisite requirements as stated in the college’s current official catalog.

Equivalent Courses from Participants in the NC Comprehensive Articulation Agreement
The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement between the University of North Carolina System and the North Carolina Community College System, as revised in 2014, reads (part IV, section (B) (6)), “Transfer credit for courses that originate at a UNC institution or independent college or university that is part of the CAA is acceptable as part of a student’s successfully-completed general education core or associate in arts or associate in science program under the CAA.”

Wake Tech’s policy is to also apply this guideline to associate in applied science programs. 

Wake Tech will accept:

  • all CAA participant college and university courses equivalent to courses on the CAA Transfer Course List for transfer credit;
  • CAA participant college and university courses equivalent to courses on the CAA Transfer Course List to meet Wake Tech program and prerequisite requirements as stated in the college’s current official catalog.

Comparable Courses from Regionally- and Nationally-Accredited Institutions of Higher Education
Program directors will as appropriate review courses from regionally- and nationally-accredited institutions of higher education to establish that their level, content, and quality are comparable to a Wake Tech course, and to confirm their relevance to a student’s intended program.

If a course is found to be comparable, Wake Tech will accept the course:

  • for transfer credit; and
  • to fulfill program and prerequisite requirements as stated in the current official Wake Tech Catalog.


  • These practices apply to courses with no differentiation based on delivery method.
  • Equivalent or comparable courses, at minimum, must carry the same number of credit hours and the same type of instructional hours; for example, lecture and lab.
  • In some instances, a course may transfer in to Wake Tech as elective credit if the course does not meet the comparability criteria stated above.
  • Wake Tech may award transfer credits for fewer credit hours than a transferred course carries.

Ref #

Students wishing to change from one program of study to another or to enroll in a second program of study must initiate the change through an advisor (available at the Southern Wake, Scott Northern Wake, Western Wake, RTP, Perry Health Sciences, and Public Safety Education campuses).

Students receiving VA benefits must also file a request for a program of study change (VA form 22-1995) with the Wake Tech Veteran Services office. Students may not be enrolled in more than two associate degree programs at one time.

Ref #

Changes in student data must be reported when they occur, in writing, to the Registration and Student Records Services Division. 

To request a name change, the student will fill out a Permanent Record Change Form, which can be obtained on Southern Wake, Scott Northern Wake, RTP and Perry Health Sciences campuses. Forms must be accompanied by copies of the legal document authorizing the name change in order for changes to be processed.

Completed forms may be submitted in person, online, or by mail to Registration and Student Records, Wake Tech Community College, 9101 Fayetteville Road, Raleigh NC 27603.

Change in address, telephone numbers, or e-mail can be submitted via Self-Service.

If you have questions or need more information, call Registration and Student Records at 919-866-5700.

Ref #

Annual Notice to Students of their Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

Wake Technical Community College complies fully with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and informs students of their rights under FERPA three times per year (after census of the fall, spring, and summer terms) via their college-issued email accounts. FERPA, as amended, protects the privacy of educational records, establishes the rights of students to inspect and review their educational records, and provides guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. To the extent consistent with FERPA, students who seek the correction of inaccurate or misleading data or who have other complaints should follow the grievance procedure found in the college catalog. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with FERPA.

Wake Tech's policy establishing its intent to comply with FERPA and procedures for implementing the provisions of FERPA are published in the college catalog. Questions about FERPA or Wake Tech's policy and procedures should be directed to the Registration and Records Services Division.

Care of Records:
Policies and Procedures
Wake Technical Community College, in the execution of its responsibilities to students, maintains accurate and confidential student records. The college staff recognizes the rights of students to have access to their educational and personal records in accordance with college policy and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.

Definition of "Educational Records "
The term "educational records" as defined under the provisions of FERPA includes files, documents, and other materials that contain information directly related to students and that are maintained by an educational institution or an authority on behalf of the institution. 

The term "educational records" as defined under the provision of FERPA does not include the following:

  1. Records of institutional, supervisory, and administrative personnel that are in the sole possession of the maker and that are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a substitute for the above-named personnel.
  2. Records and documents of security officers of the institution that are kept apart from such educational records.
  3. Records of students that are made or maintained by physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, or other recognized professionals or paraprofessionals acting in their official capacity; and that are made, maintained, or used only in connection with a provision for treatment of the student and not available to anyone other than persons providing such treatment, except that such records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of a given student's choice.
  4. Alumni or former student records.

Students may not review or inspect:

  1. Financial records of the parents of the students or other information therein contained.
  2. Confidential recommendations, if the student has signed a waiver of his or her rights of access, provided that such a waiver may not be required of the student.

Control Provisions on Student Records and Student Information
The official student file shall not be sent outside the Wake Tech Admissions Office, Registration and Student Records Services Division, Financial Aid Office, Placement Office, or Cooperative Education Office except in circumstances specifically authorized in writing by the president or appropriate vice president.

Students have the right to inspect their own records as covered by FERPA, whether recorded in hard copy, electronic data processing media, or microfilm. The registrar has been designated by the college to coordinate the inspection and review of student records. Requests to review records must be made in writing, specifying the item or items of interest. Records will be made available for review within forty-five (45) days. Upon inspection, students are entitled to an explanation of any information contained in the record.

Students may have copies of their records except:

  1. When a financial "hold" exists.
  2. When the copy requested is a transcript of an original or source document that exists elsewhere.

A fee of $.50 per page will be charged for copies of records other than the student's transcript(s) of academic records.

Transcripts and other information, except as provided by FERPA, are released only with the written consent of the student. Such written consent must:

  1. Specify the records or the data to be released, to whom it is to be released, and the reason(s) for release.
  2. Be signed and dated by the student.

Disclosure of Information without the Student's Consent
Educational records will be disclosed without written consent of students to properly identified and authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Secretary of Education, state educational officials, and the Department of Veterans Affairs for audit and evaluation of federal and state-supported programs or in connection with enforcement of the federal or legal requirements that relate to such programs. Routine requests for student data from agencies such as the Department of Education, OEO, research agencies, and state-reporting agencies may be honored without prior approval of the student only in formats where students are not identified. In the course of fulfilling its contractual obligations with third party vendors, the college recognizes that the third party vendor is acting as a legal agent ("school official") of the college and will use the confidential information for the purposes stated in the agreement. 

Currently, the college has entered into agreements with vendors that include but are not limited to the following:

  • Barnes and Noble Bookstores
  • Higher One
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Maxient Student Conduct Manager
  • College Foundation Incorporated (CFI) School Services
  • Visual Zen
  • Academic Works
  • Hyland
  • Informer
  • Starfish
  • MAP

Confidential information requested by anyone other than federal or state agencies as specified above will be released only under the following conditions:

  1. An official order of a court of competent jurisdiction.
  2. A subpoena: Students will be notified immediately by registered mail that their records are being subpoenaed.
  3. At the request of the parents of a student, upon receipt of a certified copy of their most recent Federal Income Tax Form naming the student as a dependent.

Requests for confidential information will be honored without prior consent of the student in connection with an emergency, if the knowledge of such information by appropriate persons is deemed necessary (by a responsible person) to protect the health or safety of the student or others.

Faculty and administrative officers of the College who demonstrate a legitimate educational need will be permitted to look at the official student record of a particular student.

Directory Information
The college may make the following directory information available to the public unless the student notifies the registrar in writing by the end of the first week of the term that such information is not to be made available:

  1. Student's name
  2. Date of birth
  3. Wake Tech Email Address
  4. Major field of study or program
  5. Dates of enrollment
  6. Degrees, diplomas, or certificates received
  7. College honors

The college designates the following categories of student information as "limited-use directory information":

  1. Photographs, videos, or other media containing a student's image or likeness

As designated limited-use directory data, this information will not be provided to external parties not contractually affiliated with the college. Use and disclosure of this information shall be limited to (a) publication on websites hosted by, on behalf of, or for the benefit of the college; (b) publication in print for purposes including but not limited to college marketing, public relations, outreach, and press releases; at college events including but not limited to athletic events, college fairs and open houses, student organization activities, campus atmosphere, etc. (c) college officials who have access, consistent with FERPA, to such information and only in conjunction with a legitimate educational interest; and (d) external parties contractually affiliated with the college, including official third party vendors and partner institutions with a joint memorandum of understanding.

Any release of student information for public use or use by the media, except for the specified directory information and limited-use directory information detailed above, must have the prior written approval of the student(s) involved.

Record of Access
A record of access to the official student record will be maintained within the record itself. This record will show the name, address, date, and purpose of the person(s) who have been granted access. All persons who have access will be included in this record except those institutional employees who, because of the nature of their duties, have been granted access.

Student's Rights to Question Contents of Official Records
A student has the right to view his official records as maintained by the college; furthermore, a student may question any inaccurate or misleading information and request correction or deletion of that data from the official records.

All such requests will be sent to the registrar and will become a part of that student's record.

All requests for correction of a student record will be acted upon within 45 days of receipt of that request. If the custodian can verify that such data is, in fact, in error, appropriate corrections will be made and the student will be notified in writing. In the event that the registrar fails to resolve the request to the student's satisfaction, the student may continue the grievance through compliance with the grievance procedure found in the college catalog. If the outcome of the grievance is in agreement with the student's request, the student will be permitted to review his record to verify that the change has been made correctly. If the student's request is denied, he will be permitted to append a statement to the record in question, showing the basis for his disagreement with the denial. Such appendages will become a permanent part of the record.

How to file a complaint
Students who feel their rights under FERPA have been violated, should submit their concern to the college through the Student Complaint Form; more information is available in the College catalog. Eligible students or parents may also file a written complaint on FERPA violations to the U.S. Department of Education at the following address:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC  20202

Ref #

(For Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2014)

Students officially enrolled in the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science program prior to fall 2014 must have been continuously enrolled in order to retain the conditions and protections contained in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement in place at the time of their initial enrollment.  “Continuously enrolled” means that the student must have been enrolled every fall and spring semester since their initial enrollment. 

Students who have not been continuously enrolled will be subject to the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement jointly approved by the State Board of Community Colleges and the University of North Carolina Board of Governors in February 2014.

Ref #

Southern Wake Campus: 9101 Fayetteville Road (401, south of Garner), Raleigh NC 27603 
Scott Northern Wake Campus: 6600 Louisburg Road (401, north of I-540), Raleigh NC 27616  
Health Sciences Campus: 2901 Holston Lane (adjacent to Wake Med), Raleigh NC 27610
Western Wake Campus: 3434 Kildaire Farm Road, Cary NC 27518
Public Safety Education Campus: 321 Chapanoke Road, Raleigh NC 27603
RTP Campus: 10908 Chapel Hill Road, Morrisville, NC 27560 

Curriculum Admissions
Information is available online at http://admissions.waketech.eduor by calling an Admissions Information Specialist at 919-866-5420. 

Registration and Student Records Services
Southern Wake Campus: Student Services Building, Room 243
919-866-5700 or [email protected] 

Scott Northern Wake Campus: Building B,  Room 216


919-866-5474 or [email protected]

Ref #