Request Enrollment, Degree Verification, or Deferment


The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is now our authorized agent for providing enrollment verification certificates. This is a free service offered by the NSC in cooperation with WAKE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE. A student may obtain an enrollment certificate to print and mail to a health insurer or other company that requests proof of his/her enrollment. The NSC meets all FERPA requirements and can accommodate requests immediately.

Log into to access the online portal for enrollment verification.

Request Degree Verification

The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is now our authorized agent for providing degree verification.  If you are an employer or background screening firm requesting this information please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at  (or directly at or call them at 703-742-4200.  The Clearinghouse meets all FERPA requirements and can accommodate requests immediately.

Students may continue to submit verification requests to our office in person, via mail or via fax. These will be processed within two business days.

Request Deferment

Wake Technical Community College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment verifications to lending agencies. Students receiving deferment paperwork from their lending institutions need to advise their lenders to go through the National Student Clearinghouse. Wake Technical Community College does not provide enrollment information directly to lending agencies nor do we fill out the paperwork.

Deferment Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request a deferment and/or submit my form?

Most lenders and loan servicers that are members of the Clearinghouse participate in a paperless deferment process. If your lender participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, you DO NOT have to complete a deferment form and your enrollment will be verified electronically. If your lender does not participate in the paperless deferment and needs a paper deferment form completed, the form can be mailed or dropped off at the mailing address below. All deferment forms submitted to the Registrar’s Office are forwarded to the Clearinghouse for processing.  Please be sure the following information is included on the form:

  • Borrower information (name, address, social security number, etc.)
  • Loan holder or service’s address
  • Semester you are registered for (please write this on top of the form)
  • Student’s signature
  • Any other pertinent information listed on the form

Deferment forms that are not filled out completely could delay the processing of your deferment request.

Mailing address: Registration & Records, Wake Tech, 9101 Fayetteville, Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603

What do I do if I receive a collection letter?

If you receive a collection letter from a lender during a term in which you believe you should be in deferred status, contact your lender to verify that your deferment has been processed. If the lender indicates that the deferment has still not been processed, call the Clearinghouse at (703) 742-4200 and ask for a student representative. The representative will verify when your deferment information was sent and, if you are being threatened with default, intervene on your behalf with your lender to ensure your deferment is processed on a priority basis.

How is my enrollment information reported to my lender?

Each semester, Wake Tech electronically submits a student’s enrollment status to the National Student Clearinghouse, which in turn supplies the verification of enrollment to lending agencies. A student’s enrollment information for a future term will be electronically sent after the census date of the new semester (10% point semester).