Hospitality & Tourism
Learn the ropes and get a great job in the hospitality industry!
From baking to bartending, culinary and restaurant certifications to operating your own food truck, Wake Tech has a short-term training program to get you the skills you need for the in-demand jobs in the Triangle region. Learn the science, techniques, and trends that will give you the foundational knowledge to be prepared for the challenges face by professionals in the hospitality industry.
Course Details & Registration Information
- 1. Discover how an artisan bread bakery operates.
2. Learn what is misc- en- place is and why it’s important.
3. Be able to divide dough to the proper size.
4. Shape dough into bâtards, baguettes, boules, and rolls.
5. Understand how to properly proof shaped bread and learn why bakers score each loaf .
6. Understand how to calculate ratios for ingredients using “baker’s math.”
6. Discover why bakers score each loaf and demonstrate how to score bread before baking.
7. Learn how to properly load bread into the oven and remove them.
8. Explore what leavening is and learn about the different types.as well as the types of flour used for bread baking.
9. Practice how to properly use a mixer to mix ciabatta, baguette, rich, and straight (yeasted) dough, and sourdough.
10 Learn how to pre-scale dough (either in bins or pre-shaping) and Understand why it is critical to let dough rest and why folding is important.
11 Get acquainted with what properly mixed dough feels like and why it’s important to keep a time and temperature log.
working as a team to accomplish assigned tasks, develop effective planning and time management skills, and be able to follow instructions.
12. Servsafe Instructions and Exams
- Week 1 Introduction to Basic Techniques, Equipment Safety, Baker's Math, Scaling, Stages of Mixing Bread Dough
Week 2 Lean Yeast Dough (Direct Fermentation) & Direct Fermentation Enriched Dough
Week 3 Indirect Fermentation Lean Dough & Indirect Fermentation ( Enriched Dough)
Week 4 Rolls/Knotted Rolls technique
Week 5 Sweet Doughs technique
Week 6 Servsafe Instructions & Exams
Week 7 Final Exams.
Alternate techniques related to the topic will be discussed throughout the course.
- Students will receive the ServSafe Certification ( National Restaurant Association)
Perpetual eText ISBN: 9781119364429 Net price to the Bookstore: $112.50
Students will need to purchase ServSafe 7th Edition Managers Book (ISBN 9780134812335 ) . with the Servsafe exam sheet. Link to Servsafe is provided https://bit.ly/3baVIlL. Also available at WakeTech Book Store Main Campus by calling 919-772-4204.
- Attendance 90% or above
- Students must actively participate in the class( in person or online). Students must be properly dressed in clean chef uniforms with closed-toed work shoes to prevent accidents for an in-person class. Students will be graded on quizzes and assignments on a weekly basis. Assignments have to be turned in on or before the scheduled time to be graded. Students will need a 70% or higher score to successfully complete the course.
Students will need to score a 75% or higher to pass the Servsafe Exams ( National Restaurant Association).
- Bread Maker
- Artisan Bread Maker
- Basic Culinary and Restaurant Certification - HOS-3075B3