Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- gain the knowledge to explain the concepts of heat transfer, BTU, temperature, heat content, sensible heat, latent heat, pressure, gas laws, and work, and describe how they apply to air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
- learn to describe the four basic components that make up the vapor-compression refrigeration cycle.
- identify the four major system components and explain their functions in the refrigeration system.
- learn how to properly install an air-conditioning system and put it into operation.
- learn to troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems in an air-conditioning and heat pump systems.
- Safety, Tools and Equipment, and Shop Practices
- Automatic Controls
- Electric Motors
- Commercial Refrigeration
- Air-Conditioning (Heating and Humidification)
- Air-Conditioning (Cooling)
- All-Weather Systems
- Domestic Appliances
- Commercial Air-Conditioning and Chilled-Water Systems
- Simulation Challenge Mode: HVAC
- Simulation Challenge Mode: Electricity for HVAC
This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
Webcam and microphone for testing.
PC: Windows 8 or newer
Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible. A 64-bit browser is required for the simulations.
Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following optional material will be available online:
EPA Section 608 Preparatory Manual
- Attendance 80% or above