Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- Upon successful completion of the course the student will have basic knowledge on how major commercial kitchen appliances; ovens, grills, steamers operate. Students will be able to troubleshoot, identify and repair commercial food equipment.
- 1. 1. This course is divided into Three modules: 1)Electrical, 2)Gas, and 3)Steam
Electric: This module is designed to introduce the basics of electrical circuits. The module is not intended to provide detailed theoretical analysis. Mathematical formulas are presented in a simple format. Completion of this course provides an understanding of basic electrical circuits and components used in electrical circuits • -Electrical Safety • -Electrical Terminology • -OHMS Law • -Series Circuits • -Parallel Circuits • -Power Sources • -AC Power • -DC Power • -Grounding Circuits • -Unbalanced and Balanced Loads • -Basic Component Functions • -Diagrams • -Electrical Diagram Symbols • -Basic Test instruments
2. Gas: This module is designed to assist in the training of service personnel working with gas appliances. The module provides a basic understanding of gas equipment and the controls used. • -Gas Safety • -Gas Characteristics • -Combustion Air • -Gas Burners • -Testing Devices • -Gas Pressures • -Pipe Sizes • -Gas Safety Valves • -Thermostats
3. Steam: this module is designed to introduce the basics of standard steam equipment servicing. The module provides an understanding of basic steam production and the components used in steam systems. • -Steam Safety • -Basics of Steam • -Steam Cooking • -Water Quality and Supply • -Steam Cooking Equipment • -Steam Equipment Maintenance • -Glossary of Steam Terms
6. Exam Prep (3 Hours): Students will be given a refresher course to prep them for the final exams. 6. Final Exams: Students will do the final exams online . They will be proctored by the instructor. This will not be an open book exam.
- Students will get certificates in
• Tech Foundations: Electricity
• Tech Foundations: Steam
• Tech Foundations: Gas
• Tech Foundations: Schematics
• Troubleshooting Techniques
- Attendance 90% or above
- Students must complete all assignments and participate in the class
- Service Technicians