Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- 1. Understand how electricity and electrical equipment work
2. Identify different kinds of cables, boxes and devices
3. Know basic operation of switches, receptacles and light fixtures
4. Do minor repairs of electrical systems
5. Apply general safety practices while working with electricity
6. Basic knowledge of commercial wiring
7. Develop good business practices
8. Basic knowledge of NEC for wiring purposes
- 1.-Math and Basic Electrical Formulas Review
EMT and Rigid: Sizes and types
Wire & MC Cable: THHN- Sizes and colors identification according to voltage and amps
Connectors & Couplings: EMT, rigid, PVC (schedule 40)
Boxes and Covers: 4 square boxes, handy boxes, WP boxes, FS boxes, mud rings & covers
Switches & Outlets: All different sizes, types, styles & voltages (single pole, 3way, 4way switches). Standard outlets (30 amp, 20 amp, 15 amp, GFCI, ISO, Decora, etc.).
Lights and Ballasts: Styles and sizes (2x4, recessed, surface mounted).
3.-Conduit & Mc Cable:
EMT & Tape Measure Overview: Bending (90’s and offsets-45 degree, 30 degree). Cutting and filling in-wall pipe running and box mounting.
Rigid: Bending, cutting, threading.
Mc Cable: Size ID and installation into boxes with make-up.
Strapping and Landing: Code for EMT, rigid and Mc Cable.
4.-Pulling Wire and Making up Joints:
Branch Wiring: Circuit Identification & making heads for proper pulling procedures.
Fish Tape & Vacuum: Learning how and when to use (safety first). How to use a counting string, rope and vacuum to pull wire.
Making Up Joints: Proper joint Make Up (code for how much excess to leave for each box). Grounding procedures- including but not limited to pig-tails, etc.
5.-Wiring Lights, Switches & Outlets:
Wiring Switch Banks: Make-Up for single gang, double gang and 3 gang switch banks. Basic understanding of ungrounded, grounded & grounding circuits.
Outlets: Basic outlets- 30 amp, 20 amp, and 15 amp.
Lights: Make-up can lights, 2x4, exit lights. Understanding ballasts, bulbs- Voltages and Wattages
6.-Symbols and Drawings:
Blue Print Symbols: Basic symbols- lights, outlets, switches, panels, grounding, etc.
Drawings: Basic Blue Print reading- understanding sheet numbers, floor plan inlays, one-lines.
Panel Schedules: Process of searching a circuit on the print and find the panel schedule that correlates (help labeling the wires).
Voltage Tester: How and when to use (safety procedures).
Basic Hand tools: Necessary tools needed for electrical helpers.
PPE: Personal protective equipment.
8.-National Electrical Code (NEC)
9.-Human Resources: Customer service, Interpersonal skills, Interview skills, Write a resume
Note: Instructors may change the course schedule to better serve the students in the class.
2.- Safety Glasses
3.- Safety Gloves
4.- Electrical Hazard (EH) Safety Shoes
5.- Electrical Screwdriver - Flat
6.- Electrical Screwdriver - Phillips
7.- Wire Stripper
8.- Electrical Lineman Pliers
13.- Measure Tape
14.- Digital Clamp Multimeter
15.- Voltage Detector
16.- Receptacle Tester with GFCI button
- Attendance 90% or above
- Successful completion of this course requires 90% attendance and satisfactory class participation (i.e. be able to demonstrate proficiency in all concepts taught). Students with irregular attendance, less than 90% attendance, or who are unable to demonstrate competency will receive a grade of NG (no grade)
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Helpers
- Residential Blueprint Reading - BPR-3011B4
- Residential Construction Estimation - CAR-3118A3
- Residential Contractors Exam Prep - CAR-3118B4
- Electrical Wiring- Residential - ELC-3119A2