Frequently Asked Questions

Why participate in the Career and College Promise program at Wake Tech?

  • The CCP Program offers interested students the opportunity to complete their high school credential and also take classes for college credit.
  • The program helps to reduce the cost of a college degree, career certification, or diploma
  • Students may gain entry into a selective college by transferring in as a sophomore or junior
  • CCP allows students the opportunity to demonstrate the ability to do well in a college-level coursework
  • Students receive dual credit (visit DPI at for a CCP dual credit allowance chart)

Who is eligible to participate in the Career and College Promise (CCP) Program at Wake Tech?

High school juniors and seniors at any NC high school or NC homeschool with a valid NCDNPI number.

How do students enroll into the CCP program at Wake Tech?

In order to enroll, students are required to attend a mandatory Information Session. They will need to submit all enrollment documents prior to the enrollment deadline. Please visit “Enrolling in CCP” for a complete admissions overview.

What is the difference between CCP classes and AP or IB classes?

CCP classes are college-level classes, taught by college faculty. As long as a student maintains a C or better in these classes, they will receive college credit. AP and IB classes are taught by the high school staff at the high school. Students must pass exams for these classes to earn college credit. All three types of classes give students high school credit.

Is there an age limit for taking CCP classes?

There is no age limit for CCP classes except for the Nurse Aide CTE pathway. The minimum age requirement to begin the NAS 101 course is 16 ½.

How many classes may a student take each semester?

There is no minimum or maximum number of classes a student can take. Students are encouraged to meet with their CDC (Career Development Counselor) or school counselor to determine the course load that is most appropriate.

How long is the CCP program?

Students are eligible for 6 terms beginning in the fall (August) of their junior year of high school.

  • Junior year: fall, spring, summer terms
  • Senior year: fall, spring, summer terms

Can students pursue College Transfer Pathway & Career Technical Education Pathway at the same time?

Students are allowed to pursue up to two CCP pathways but only one can be a College Transfer Pathway.

  • Option 1: Two CTE Pathways
  • Option 2: One CT pathway and one CTE Pathway
  • Option 3: Students can also choose to participate in one pathway

My student is not yet a junior in high school. What should we do be prepared?

Your student should take their high school course work seriously. The grades they make as a freshman and sophomore can have a direct impact on whether they will be able to participate in the CCP program later. 

What if my student does not have a unweighted 2.8 GPA?

Students can seek a recommendation from their principal/school counselor to participate in the Career and Technical Education (CTE) pathway(s) with a lower GPA if they do not have test scores that meet college ready benchmarks. This recommendation must come in the form of a memo and should be submitted with your application packet (application, EV form, high school transcript).

What resources are available to your student if they are struggling?

If students need some additional support they are encouraged to visit the (ILC) Individual Learning Center for one-on-one tutoring services.

Do all students need test scores?

Students do not need test scores in order to be admitted; a high school GPA can be used. Some CTE courses may require testing to satisfy college-level prerequisites. See the Pathway Eligibility tab for more information.

Will credits transfer if students don't complete the entire College Transfer (CT) pathway?

Yes. All the classes transfer under the College Transfer (CT) pathways.

Where are the locations the CCP classes are offered and at what time?

CCP classes are offered at all six Wake Tech campuses as well as online. Classes meet at various times.

What happens if there is a conflict between school and my college schedule?

Students are responsible for attending their college classes even when their high school is on break. They are encouraged to download the WTCC app and pay attention to whether classes are cancelled or in session.

My student would like to take classes over the summer. Is that possible?

Students are not eligible for summer courses until they complete their junior year of high school. Also, the summer term is not a typical 16-week term, the courses are condensed and rigorous.

Summer courses will begin before high school ends the school year.

Is it possible to place into a higher-level math or substitute math course seen in other pathways?

Students can qualify for a higher-level math (MA 271) in the CT pathway if they submit supporting documentation. Please refer to the Direct Placement Form for a list of acceptable criteria. Substitutions are sometimes possible and done on an individual basis.

Why should a student choose a CTE Pathway if they are planning to attend a 4-year institution?


  • CTE classes are career focused and an experimental way to try out a field of interest prior to committing to a two or a four-year degree
  • Great for learners who learn by “doing” and are motivated based on interest
  • Many CTE pathways are part of parent degrees that can articulate to other colleges. Please visit Transfer Resources to view articulation agreements between colleges and/or programs
  • Once a student earns a certificate, they are more marketable and valuable in their career field 

Can students take courses outside of their Career & College Promise Pathway(s)?

Once a student completes the required courses that fall within the CT/ CTE pathway, they can choose courses from the parent degree program that aligns to the pathway they have completed. Students are encouraged to contact CCP Staff to discuss the parent program(s) that align with the completed pathway and to conduct a pathway audit. This also requires the submission of a Change of Status form.

Are CCP students allowed to change their Pathway(s)?

Students can change pathways with approval of the high school principal, counselor or Career Development Coordinator. Students are required to give an explanation of why their educational goals changed on the Change of Status Form. Please note, there may be additional prerequisites or college ready-benchmarks to meet.

Can the student know whether they can balance high school and college courses simultaneously?

If unsure about balancing high school courses with college-level courses, we recommend beginning with one course and slowly acclimating to the college culture. You can also discuss balancing with your school counselor and/or parents.

How do students know what CCP Pathways to enroll in?

Students should meet with their school counselor and/or Career and Development Coordinator to discuss short and long-term educational and career goals. Students will then explore the College Transfer (CT) Pathway options as well as the Career Technical Education (CTE) Pathway to find the program that best aligns with goals and interests. Wake Tech also offers the Career Lens Lab that is designed specifically to magnify the student’s career vision and align them with viable career-cluster that matches skill set and interests.

What requirements are needed on a homeschool high school transcript?

All courses need to be on one high school transcript:

  • Completed courses are broken down by the academic year (2015-2016 / Freshman year)
  • Courses in progress (IP) broken down by academic year
  • Date of high school entry
  • Projected high school graduation date (month, day, year)
  • Cumulative, unweighted GPA
  • Name, DOB, address, the name of the school and name of home school administrator
  • Home school administrator's signature on the designated school official area on all documents

Can students participate in sports or clubs at Wake Tech?

CCP students will have access to all of Wake Tech’s student support services, free-tutoring, clubs, and activities. However, CCP students are not allowed to participate in our college level sports but they can be a supportive spectator.

What are the requirements needed to continue in the CCP program each semester?

Each term the student will receive an email (Wake Tech email account) with the required documents and registration dates and deadlines. Students can also pick up the required forms at the Admissions Office (RTP, Scott Northern or Southern Campus only). Steps to register can also be found at the Continuing Students Tab.

  • Students must continue to make progress towards high school graduation requirements
  • Maintain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in college course-work after completing two courses at Wake Tech 
  • Students are required to meet with a school-designated official, principal, or CDC each semester to seek permission to participate in CCP.
  • Students will need to submit an updated Eligibility Verification (EV) Form with high school official signatures verifying they have met the above qualifications prior to registration.


Can a student take a class that is not part of the CCP pathway if they are willing to pay for it?

Students cannot take classes outside of their pathway until they have completed their entire pathway.

Can my student take a foreign language class?

Yes. Students who are admitted into the College Transfer (CT) pathway can take up to 8 credit hours. With permission from the department, they can also test into a higher level, but they are still limited to 8 credit hours. These classes do not count towards pathway completion and are not UGETC classes which mean they may or may not transfer.

When and how do students find out what textbooks are needed?

Self-Service ( lists courses that are offered in a semester, course descriptions, dates and times of available courses as well as textbook information. Please visit Wake Tech Bookstore Information Online at: Many students take advantage of college book rental services and/or buy used books in order to cut costs.

Who pays the cost of the student’s textbooks?

Textbooks and supplies are a student’s responsibility. A student’s high school, the school district, or another local organization may also cover these costs. Students should check with their principal or school counselor to verify how these costs are paid and explore resources available.

How do students obtain a Wake Tech Student ID and parking pass?

Students are required to present a vehicle registration card and license plate number in order to obtain a Wake Tech parking decal. Students will require a form of identification (license or passport) to receive a Student ID badge. Please visit ID Badges & Parking Decals for additional information on times and locations.

What is the difference between an Information session and a CCP New Student Orientation session?

The Information Session is mandatory and is the first step in the enrollment process. The Information Session is important to attend so the students have the information they need to decide whether the CCP program is a good fit for them while they are still in high school. Students and parents will learn the basics of the CCP program, guidelines, deadlines and pathway options available. Students will also receive the enrollment packet so they can officially apply to the CCP program at Wake Tech.The Information Sessions are posted to the CCP website once the dates and locations have been confirmed. , Sessions are typically offered all around Wake County prior to a enrollment.

The Orientation Session takes place after a student has been accepted into the CCP program. Students learn how to navigate the student portal, SelfService, receive registration assistance and may obtain their parking decals and student ID’s. Students who may have been admitted late in the enrollment cycle will be given an opportunity to receive registration assistance during a CCP open lab session. Students will need to register in advance to attend an Orientation Session.

How do CCP students know whether they have been registered for their desired courses?

Students are encouraged to view their schedules in Self-Service to confirm their registration. Registering simply means you are selecting specific courses to take for a specific term. The CCP Office registers each student and are the gatekeepers to ensure students are following NC state guidelines, selecting courses within their pathway and meet the requirements each term. The registration process takes place only after a student submits their EV form and course selection form to the CCP Office.

For CCP registration assistance regarding adding a course or changing a pathway, students are encouraged to pick up the forms in the Admissions Office (Scott Northern Wake Campus, Southern Wake Campus or RTP Campus only) or email the CCP staff to request the required documents. [email protected].

What if I do not see the course I requested in Self-Service?

This could mean that the CCP staff is unable to register you for your course(s) for many reasons. The course may be restricted, closed or waitlisted. The course(s) may not be a part of your CT/CTE pathway(s). The student may not meet the required prerequisites ( or may need to take the e-learning assessment to gain access to online learning platforms ( For assistance with schedules, attend CCP Advising or CCP Registration Open Lab

When and how can we talk to a CCP Staff member?

For immediate assistance, Wake Tech Admissions Staff is available to help prospective and accepted CCP students on a walk-in basis with general questions regarding CCP. We also conduct CCP Admissions and Advising Sessions to provide an opportunity for students to meet one-on-one with a CCP staff member. Please visit the CCP Admissions and Advising Tab on the website for the available dates, hours and locations. We typically offer CCP Advising times during busy enrollment registration cycles. The best way to communicate with the CCP staff is by email at [email protected].