Foreign Language Placement Exams
The main objective of foreign language placement exams is to determine the best level for students to continue their French or Spanish language studies at Wake Tech. Course placement is important as students improve their language skills so that, upon transfer, students may successfully continue their studies at a four-year institution.
Credits earned through a placement exam can count toward graduation requirements at Wake Tech. However, students are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to determine how credits earned through placement may affect their transfer status, degree completion and financial aid. Each college and university has its own guidelines, so the implications of credits earned through placement exams may vary based on individual student pathways for transfer.
Students may be eligible to take a foreign language placement test if they fall into one or more of the following categories:
- The student has recently earned a grade of "B" (87) or better consistently in three courses of high school study of the same language.
- The student has recently lived or studied in a French- or Spanish-speaking country for more than six months.
- The student has interacted and/or communicated in French or Spanish daily at work or in another formal setting.
Students who have completed a curriculum foreign language course at Wake Tech are not eligible to take placement exams.
How do I take a placement exam?
The eLearning Testing Center (eLTC) at Scott Northern Wake and Perry Health Sciences campuses will accommodate limited in-person testing appointments from Tuesday, January 17, through Wednesday, April 5. French or Spanish placement exam appointments must be confirmed three to five weekdays before the desired testing date. Walk-ins cannot be accommodated.
The eLTC at Scott Northern Wake Campus is in Building D, Room 125, and testing will take place during the following hours*:
- Monday – Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
*No exams will be administered within one hour of closing time.
Follow these steps to make an appointment:
- Email your request to [email protected]
- In the email subject line, type "Foreign Language Placement Exam Request"
- Include the following:
- First and last name
- Wake Tech ID number
- Date and time you want to schedule the appointment (allow three to five business days for appointments)
- Placement exam language you want to take (French or Spanish)
Adhere to these rules on the testing day:
- Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment and come alone.
- When you arrive on campus, follow posted signs to enter Building D.
- You will be required to show your Wake Tech ID.
- You will be in a room with the test proctor, and occupancy will be based on state social distancing requirements in place.
For more information, email [email protected].
Placement tests are free to Wake Tech students, but they may be taken only once while attending Wake Tech. Tests are given using computerized adaptive software; the tests last five to 40 minutes, and results are given immediately.
During the drop/add period at the start of each semester, students who successfully place out of FRE and/or SPA 111/181 will need to drop that class and add the appropriate level of language to study. Alternatively, they may add another class that they may need to meet their degree requirements at Wake Tech. If students have questions regarding which classes they should take for their degree at Wake Tech, they need to consult with an academic advisor.