Foreign Languages

Wake Tech offers French and Spanish courses at the university freshman and sophomore levels. These studies are fundamental to a robust and well-rounded education, and knowledge of a foreign language makes graduates more marketable in today’s global economy.

Most four-year colleges and universities in North Carolina require at least two semesters of foreign language study; some majors require more. Students should contact four-year institutions to find out about foreign language requirements for specific majors.   

Native speakers of English who have not earned college credit for foreign language studies should register for the Level 1 lecture course (111) and the corresponding language lab (181). Language labs supplement lectures and are co-requisites for foreign language lecture courses. The labs meet for two hours each week and provide one hour of transferable credit.

NOTE: Wake Tech also offers Spanish for the Workplace (SPA 120), but it is not a university transfer course and will not count toward a four-year degree. 

Foreign Languages faculty provide individualized tutoring in our Foreign Language Center. Faculty also support language study outside of class through Sigma Delta Mu and Wake Tech’s Confucius Classroom.

SPA120 (Spanish for the Workplace) is NOT a university transfer course and will NOT count toward a four-year degree. 

Students who already have the Spanish language skills taught in SPA 120 and are enrolled in the degree or certificate programs, for which we teach SPA 120, may request a challenge examination for this non-transferable course.

In order to take the exam, students must:

  1. Provide proof that they have registered and paid for the course being challenged.
  2. Make arrangements with the instructor of record to take the exam during the drop and add period the semester, or prior to the end of the previous semester.
  3. Fill out a “Request for challenge Examination Form” (WT Form 610). The form is available at Department Head’s Office or SPA 120 instructor’s office.
  4. Present valid picture ID.

The above steps must be completed by the 10% point of the semester. 

In order to receive transcript credit after passing the challenge examination for SPA 120, students must:

  1. Successfully challenge SPA 120 by the drop and add period of the semester
  2. Pay for SPA 120 class and remain registered for it.

At the end of the term, an “X” grade will be assigned to indicate the successful challenge of an SPA 120 class. These credits will count towards meeting program graduation requirements but are not figured in the GPA. Students who successfully challenge an SPA 120 class, need to stop attending their scheduled SPA 120 class section.

Melania Aguirre-Rabon
Administrative Department Head,
Foreign Languages and Fine Arts
Pucher-LeMay Hall 204H (Southern Wake Campus)
Building E 323 (Northern Wake Campus)
[email protected]