How to Apply
Cadet positions are highly competitive; only 28 students are accepted for each class. Applicants must have a good driving record and a clean criminal record.
To apply for the 2018-2019 Night Academy or January day academy, you must complete these steps:
1: Take the reading comprehension test (Required for all applicants)
North Carolina law requires all students, regardless of education level, to take a reading comprehension test within one year of the class start date and score at or above the 10th grade level. There are no makeup dates!
- To register for the Reading Comprehension Exam, complete and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the date and time of your exam from the BLET office. Your driver’s license will be checked before you take the reading comprehension test; if it does not match the information you provided on the test reservation, you will not be allowed to take the test.
- Take the test on your scheduled date at the Public Safety Education Campus.
2: Attend an Information Session
- Attend the information session immediately following your reading test and obtain your registration packet (distributed after the session).
3: Complete and turn in the registration packet at the Mandatory Orientation session
- The paperwork in your registration packet is required for acceptance into the Academy. All items on the registration checklist must be turned in.
4: Attend Academy Mandatory Orientation
Academy Orientation is mandatory; it covers Academy rules, regulations, forms, and other important information.
- Tuition and fees will be discussed during the application process.
- Orientation will be held at the Public Safety Education Campus.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early – latecomers will not be allowed to participate!
Reading Comprehension Exam Registration
Contact the BLET Office: [email protected] if you have any questions.
PROGRAM STRUCTURE AND OPTIONS
BLET students can choose the daytime or evening program:
Day Academy meets primarily from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for 20 weeks. It is offered twice each year: January-June and July-December.
Night Academy meets from 5:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, October-June, with 1-2 Saturday classes per month.