How to Apply
Cadet positions are highly competitive; only 28 students are accepted for each class. Applicants must have a good driving record and a clean criminal record.
To apply for the July day academy or 2018-2019 Night Academy, you must complete these steps:
1: Take the reading comprehension test (Required for all applicants)
North Carolina law requires all students, regardless of education level, to take a reading comprehension test within one year of the class start date and score at or above the 10th grade level. There are no makeup dates!
- To register for the Reading Comprehension Exam, complete and submit the form at the bottom of this page.
- You will receive a confirmation email with the date and time of your exam from the BLET office. Your driver’s license will be checked before you take the reading comprehension test; if it does not match the information you provided on the test reservation, you will not be allowed to take the test.
- Take the test on your scheduled date at the Public Safety Education Campus.
Reading test must be taken and score at or above the 10th grade level by orientation. July day academy orientation is at the beginning of June. Night academy orientation is at the beginning of August. The exact date is only given with packets after meeting the reading test requirement.
2: Attend an Information Session
- Attend the information session immediately following your reading test and obtain your registration packet (distributed after the session).
3: Complete and turn in the registration packet at the Mandatory Orientation session
- The paperwork in your registration packet is required for acceptance into the Academy. All items on the registration checklist must be turned in.
4: Attend Academy Mandatory Orientation
Academy Orientation is mandatory; it covers Academy rules, regulations, forms, and other important information.
- Tuition and fees will be discussed during the application process.
- Orientation will be held at the Public Safety Education Campus.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early – latecomers will not be allowed to participate!
Reading Comprehension Exam Registration
Contact the BLET Office: [email protected] if you have any questions.
PROGRAM STRUCTURE AND OPTIONS
BLET students can choose the daytime or evening program:
Day Academy meets primarily from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for 20 weeks. It is offered twice each year: January-June and July-December.
Night Academy meets from 5:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, September-June.