Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- Students will understand the protocols for blower door and duct leakage testing
- Students will be able to calculate the ACH50 (air changes per hour) and percentage of duct leakage
- Students will be prepared to successfully challenge the Building Performance Institute (BPI) Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) certification field exam (available separately)
- General introduction, overview of HVAC and houses
- Common issues with HVAC ductwork, good and bad installations/sealing, products that do and don’t work well.
- Introduction to duct testing and diagnostic equipment
- Duct testing (cont'd), review of basic math for calculations
- Review of previous areas of discussion and midterm test
- Proper duct sealing and end of class project assignments
- Practical application
- Final review and additional practice on diagnostic equipment
- Final exam and projects due
- Students will gain the skills needed to evaluate the Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) units for duct leakage and blower door tests, in compliance with International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) codes for new home construction or existing home remodels.
- Upon completion of the course and passing the field examination the student will be eligible to earn the Infiltration and Duct Leakage (IDL) certification, that certifies you can conduct duct leakage tests to the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) ASTM E1554-07 standard and blower door tests to the ASTM E779 standard.
- Attendance 90% or above
- Minimum passing score of 70 percent on exams and final hands on project
Energy Audit Home Inspector
Energy Auditor Program Support
- Energy Efficient Quality Control Specialist
- Energy Auditor
- Energy Auditor Program Support
- Heating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) - AHR-3131A2
- Heating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) - AHR-3131B2