Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- have understood latest advances and trends in green technology.
- have learned the functions and desired characteristics of system refrigerants, EPA laws governing safe refrigerant handling and transport, and concepts of recovering, recycling, reclaiming, and retrofitting refrigerants.
- have understood he procedures and criteria needed to conduct a residential energy audit.
- have learned the four basic components that make up the vapor-compression refrigeration cycle.
- Safety, Tools and Equipment, and Shop Practices
- Automatic Controls
- Electric Motors
- Commercial Refrigeration
- Air-Conditioning (Heating and Humidification)
- Air-Conditioning (Cooling)
- All-Weather Systems
- Domestic Appliances
- Commercial Air-Conditioning and Chilled-Water Systems
- Simulation Challenge Mode: HVAC
- Simulation Challenge Mode: Electricity for HVAC
This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
Webcam and microphone for testing.
PC: Windows 8 or newer.
Mac: macOS 10.6 or later.
Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible. A 64-bit browser is required for the simulations.
Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following material will be available online:
EPA Section 608 Preparatory Manual
- Attendance 80% or above