Building & Construction
Start a New Career or Stay Current in Your Field of Work
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands, or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Different positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course Details & Registration Information
- Students will have a working knowledge of construction math, ability to read and interpret residential blueprints and will be OSHA 10 certified.
- Safety OSHA 10 (12 hours)
Framing Tool Safety
Blueprint Reading (12 Hours)
Estimating Framing materials
Recognizing features to be framed (door and window openings, corners, partitions)
Layout (6 hours)
Floors – 16” and 24” centers, floor openings, ledger strips vs. joist hangers, double joists
Walls – 16” centers, door and window openings, interior wall and exterior wall headers,
bearing walls, leveling and bracing, purlin blocking, sheathing, nail patterns
Ceilings/Roof – ceiling joists, attaching rafters (not cutting or laying out rafters)
Hands on Framing (48 hours)
Construct shed(s) using best framing practices
Construction Math (12 hours)
- Square Footage, tape measuring, and fraction
International Residential Code - Building Plans and Inspections (6 hours)
- Prepares students with the skills and experience they need for careers in the building industry.
- Attendance 90% or above
- Minimum of passing score of 75% on course exams.
Hands-on exercises will be performed on the date assigned by the instructor.
- If a student has extenuating circumstances causing absences of greater than 10% of the class time, the student must make arrangements with the instructor to provide evidence of keeping up with the class material and making up hands-on exercises, and demonstrate competency in the course objectives.
- Basic Framing