Wake Tech offers a variety of non-degree, short classes and certificate training programs in the biotechnology field, including hands-on training in biomanufacturing and biopharmaceutical operations in a simulated industrial, current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) environment.
Course Details & Registration Information
- Gain theoretical and practical hands-on experience with biological sample extraction and purification techniques.
- Learn basic analytical approaches and instrumentation used in trace organic analysis.
- Introduction to bio-analytical (trace organic) analysis
- Sampling techniques
- Sample extraction techniques
- Sample extract purification including solid phase extraction and solvent partitioning techniques
- Basics of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), top loading and analytical balances, pipettes, and volumetric flasks
- Labs: standard solution preparations, HPLC auto injection of calibration standards on an overnight run
- Calibration of an HPLC unit
- Importance of lab controls and lab fortified controls as quality control checks
- Method M 002 - Determination of a trace-level organic contaminant in milk
- Demonstration of Method M 002 to determine a trace-level organic contaminant in milk
- Labs: Perform Method M 002, injection of prepared samples, and calculation of the results
- Challenges posed by real world samples
- Solid Phase Extraction cartridges and manifolds
- Analytical and top loading balance
- Vacuum pump
- High speed refrigerated centrifuge
- Reagents: methanol, acetonitrile, Milli-Q water, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, 5N hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, milk
- Assorted lab glassware and pipettes
- Imazaquin standard.
- Attendance 85% or above
- Score of at least 70% on final exam.
- Preparation and Purification of Biological Samples for HPLC Analysis - SEF-79824
- Chromatography in Theory and Practice - SEF-79614
- HPLC in Theory and Practice - SEF-79624