Wake Tech offers a variety of non-degree, short classes and certificate training programs in biotechnology, including hands-on training in biomanufacturing and biopharmaceutical operations in a simulated industrial, current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) environment.
For those interested in earning a degree to work in the biotech industry, visit Wake Tech's Biotechnology Department.
Financial assistance available
Workforce Continuing Education offers financial assistance for many workforce training programs through the Propel program and other resources. Email [email protected] for more information.
Course details and registration information
- Gain theoretical and practical hands-on experience with biological sample extraction and purification techniques.
- Learn basic analytical approaches and instrumentation used in trace organic analysis.
- Introduction to bio-analytical (trace organic) analysis
- Sampling techniques
- Sample extraction techniques
- Sample extract purification including solid-phase extraction and solvent partitioning techniques
- Basics of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), top loading and analytical balances, pipettes, and volumetric flasks
- Labs: standard solution preparations, HPLC auto injection of calibration standards on an overnight run
- Produce a standard calibration curve using model analyte
- Importance of lab controls and lab fortified controls as quality control checks
- Method M 002 - Determination of a trace-level organic contaminant in milk
- Demonstration of Method M 002 to determine a trace-level organic contaminant in milk
- Labs: Perform Method M 002, injection of prepared samples, and calculation of the results
- Challenges posed by real world samples
- Solid Phase Extraction cartridges and manifolds
- Analytical and top loading balance
- Vacuum pump
- High speed refrigerated centrifuge
- Reagents: methanol, acetonitrile, Milli-Q water, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, 5N hydrochloric acid, acetic acid, milk
- Assorted lab glassware and pipettes
- Imazaquin standard.
- Attendance 85% or above
- Score of at least 70% on final exam.
- Chromatography in Theory and Practice - SEF-79614
- HPLC in Theory and Practice - SEF-79624
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App