BioWork Process Technician
BioWork is a 136-hour non-credit certificate course (Workforce Continuing Education) that can lead to an entry-level position as a process technician.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are awarded for this course. BioWork is intended for high school graduates, for those in manufacturing industries who have lost their job, and for those who would like to start a new career.
To learn more about the BioWork Program or learn how to start the registration process, click on the BioNetwork online BioWork information website button below.
"Of all the teachers and courses I've taken, I would say that Bio Work impacted my life the most. I went from minimum wage to making a great living surrounded by people who actually enjoy coming to work for a company that actually cares."
-Ryan Kennedy, Merck employee
2020 BioWork Information Sessions
Entry into the BioWork Program
BioWork Information Sessions have changed to a generic online BioWork information session followed by shorter onsite information sessions in which specific college requirements will be explained and placement tests will be given. This online BioWork information session is now functional, please go to the top of this webpage to the online information session button to first complete the online information session.
You must complete the online BioWork information session, attend an onsite BioWork information session, take a series of free placement tests, and pass those tests before entry into the BioWork Program. All prospective BioWork students at Wake Technical Community College must take and pass these placement tests regardless of previous college degree, previous college course work, or present student status. The placement tests will be given at the beginning of the onsite information sessions. The onsite information sessions take approximately three hours to complete.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time of the session. You will need to wear a mask before entering the building and you must provide your own mask. We will have a team onsite to do COVID-19 related health screening before you are allowed to enter the testing room. Testing will begin promptly at the times listed below.
Information Sessions (including placement testing) for BioWork Courses:
- BioWork onsite information / placement test sessions will resume in mid-November. Precise dates and times will be listed at a later date. At that time we will recruit for the Spring 2021 classes that will start in January and February of 2021.
The above onsite information sessions will be held at the Western Wake campus - 3434 Kildaire Farm Rd., Cary, NC
Special instruction related to COVID-19 epidemic.
Under current COVID-19 conditions, after information sessions have been scheduled and posted on this website, you must first register by sending me an email that states which information session you want to attend.
Your email must contain which session you wish to attend, your full legal first and last name, your email address, and your telephone number. Sending me this email does not guarantee a space in the information session. I am waiting for confirmation on how many participants will be allowed to attend. Those emails first received will placed at the top of the list. My email is listed at the bottom of this website. If there is room for you at one of these information / placement test sessions, I will send you an email confirming your space and giving you specific instructions for preparing for the COVID-19 related requirements.
If you just show up on the day or evening of the information / placement test session, you will not be allowed to attend. You must register in advance.
Please direct any questions about the information sessions or placement tests to the BioWork Director listed at the bottom of this website.
Course Details & Registration Information
For the Spring of 2021, we will most likely only be offering online classes that have required Microsoft Teams Meeting participation once per week. Details on these classes will be listed by mid-November 2020.
Industry-recognized credential: BioWork Process Technician Certificate
Complete in: 4 months or less
Biowork: Process Technician TrainingBTC-3200A7
This course is designed to provide basic preparation for entry-level process technician jobs in bioprocess manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and chemical manufacturing. Course competencies include understanding the role of a process technician, safety, quality pro...
Biowork Program Basics
- Cost: $280 (including books)
- Duration of Course: 15-16 weeks, depending upon section chosen to attend
- Section Options: Under current COVID-19 restrictions, we will only be offering online versions of the BioWork course
- Location: Western Wake Campus (no onsite activity for Fall 2020 other than scheduled textbook pickup)
- Eight units of study designed by industry and directly related to biopharmaceutical technology
- Virtual lab exercises for Fall of 2020
- Teamwork and problem solving activities
- Teaching expertise of industry veterans
- Optional state certification exam for process technicians
- Networking opportunities linked to career-building and job search
- Optional resume support and interview practice
- A link to additional hands-on training provided by the BioNetwork Capstone Center
Before you can register for BioWork, you must:
- Hold a high school diploma or GED
- Attend an information session. Sessions including placement tests take about three hours; reservations are required
- Pass placements test in reading and math. Placement testing occurs at the beginning of the information session and takes about 2 hours; testing is free and reservations are required.
- Pay tuition of $280 (includes the cost of books)
Only after taking and passing the placement tests will students be able to register for a BioWork class.
- A scholarship in the amount of $140.00* (half of the course cost) may be available for the traditional face to face lecture versions or the hybrid class that meets once a week for laboratory activities. If obtained, the cost of the BioWork course would be reduced to $140.00*.
- At this time, the Career Pathways Program scholarships are not available for the online version of the BioWork course that has all the laboratory activities in the final week of the class. To find more information about these scholarships, available through the Career Pathway Scholarship Program, please visit the following website: Financial Resources for Workforce Continuing Education Programs
State Certification Exam
Wake Tech offers the State Certification Exam for Process Technicians for students that have completed and passed the BioWork Program. The exam is voluntary and cost is $75 (new price, effective June 1, 2019). The test is administered by Scantron; only students that have a BioWork certificate will receive scores from Scantron. For more information and an application, please visit the Scranton Process Technician Examination website. Applications for these exams are made directly through mail to Scantron.
|Process Technician State Certification Exam Schedule|
|The current COVID-19 epidemic cancelled all plans to administer State Process Certifications in the Summer of 2020.|
|If conditions allow, we will try to schedule these exams during the Fall of 2020 and will also be posted on the Scantron Process Technician exam website. Our ability to do this will be contingent upon the situation with COVID-19 at that time.|
For additional information about the BioWork Program at Wake Technical Community College please contact:
Dr. Michael K. Morgan
Director, BioWork Program