BioWork Process Technician
BioWork is a 136-hour non-credit certificate course (Workforce Continuing Education) that can lead to an entry-level position as a process technician.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are awarded for this course. BioWork is intended for high school graduates, for those in manufacturing industries who have lost their job, and for those who would like to start a new career.
"Of all the teachers and courses I've taken, I would say that BioWork impacted my life the most. I went from minimum wage to making a great living surrounded by people who actually enjoy coming to work for a company that actually cares."
-Ryan Kennedy, Merck employee
2019 Biowork Information Sessions
Entry into the BioWork Program
You must attend a BioWork information session, take a series of free placement tests, and pass those tests before entry into the BioWork Program. The placement tests will be given at the beginning of the information sessions. The information sessions take approximately 3 hours to complete. Please arrive at the start time of the session or a few minutes early. Testing will begin promptly at the times listed below.
Information Sessions (including placement testing) for BioWork Courses:
- Thursday, April 18th, 2019 - 9:00 a.m. to noon, Rm. 101
- Thursday, April 25th, 2019 - 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Rm. 101
BioWork Information Sessions are located at Western Wake Campus, 3434 Kildaire Farm Rd. Cary, NC
Please direct any questions about the information sessions or placement tests to the BioWork Director listed at the bottom of this webpage.
Course Details & Registration Information
Industry-recognized credential: BioWork Process Technician Certificate
Complete in: 4 months or less
Biowork: Process Technician TrainingBTC-3200A72 available classes
This course is designed to provide basic preparation for entry-level process technician jobs in bioprocess manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and chemical manufacturing. Course competencies include understanding the role of a process technician, safety, quality pro...
Biowork Program Basics
- Cost: $315 (including books)
- Duration of Course: 12-15 weeks, depending upon section chosen to attend
- Section Options: day, evening, and hybrid distance learning
- Location: Western Wake Campus
- Nine units of study designed by industry and directly related to biopharmaceutical technology
- Hands-on lab and equipment training (25% of course)
- Teamwork and problem solving activities
- Tours of a biopharmaceutical facility and the BioNetwork Capstone Center
- Teaching expertise of industry veterans
- Optional state certification exam for process technicians
- Networking opportunities linked to career-building and job search
- Optional resume support and interview practice
- A link to additional hands-on training provided by the BioNetwork Capstone Center
Before you can register for BioWork, you must:
- Hold a high school diploma or GED
- Attend an information session. Sessions including placement tests take about three hours; reservations are not required
- Pass placements test in reading and math. Placement testing occurs at the beginning of the information session and takes about 2 hours; testing is free and reservations are not required.
- Pay tuition of $315 (includes the cost of books)
Only after taking and passing the placement tests will students be able to register for a BioWork class.
- A scholarship in the amount of $157.50 (half of the course cost) may be available for the traditional face to face lecture versions or the hybrid class that meets once a week for laboratory activities. If obtained, the cost of the BioWork course would be reduced to $157.50.
- At this time, the Career Pathways Program scholarships are not available for the online version of the BioWork course that has all the laboratory activities in the final week of the class. To find more information about these scholarships, available through the Career Pathway Scholarship Program, please visit the following website: Financial Resources for Workforce Continuing Education Programs
State Certification Exam and Review Courses
Wake Tech offers the State Certification Exam for Process Technicians for students that have completed and passed the BioWork Program. The exam is voluntary and cost is $55. The test is administered by Castle Worldwide; only students that have a BioWork certificate will receive scores from Castle. For more information and an application, please visit the Castle Worldwide website.
|Process Technician State Certification Exam Schedule|
|Wednesday, June 12, 2019: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.||Check in at 8:30 a.m.|
|Western Wake Campus, Room 118||$55|
|Thursday, June 13, 2019: 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.||Check in at 5:00 p.m.|
|Western Wake Campus, Rm. 101||$55|
For additional information about the BioWork Program at Wake Technical Community College please contact:
Dr. Michael K. Morgan
Director, BioWork Program