EPIC 30 Online Teaching Certificate
Whether you’re new to online teaching, or an experienced online educator with the desire to bring your skills to a whole new level. Wake Tech’s new online training and certification program helps K-12 teachers, college and university professors and corporate trainers master the skills to develop accessible, engaging, and user-friendly online courses.
Learn best practices in online course design, instruction, communication, and accessibility.
- Core accessibility concepts
- Creating accessible documents, presentations, multimedia, and Blackboard content
- Universal Design for Learning (UDL) theory
- Blackboard course environment customization
- Online course communication and Blackboard tools
- Assessment tools
- Quality assessment standards
For the price of a conference registration fee, you can take a flexible online course and earn a certificate from the comfort of your home or office.
- 30 hours of online instruction
- Results in 3 CEUs
- $300 registration fee includes a course facilitator and all course materials
- Online Teaching Certificate
Learn more & Register Now
Will someone else be paying for you to take this class?
If you would like your employer to receive an invoice to pay for your registration fee, or if you need to pay for someone else to take this class, click here to learn more about Sponsorship Billing.
For more information
Mike Langer | [email protected] | 919-532-5526
- be able to identify, describe, and explain core accessibility concepts and create ,basic accessible documents, presentations, and multimedia, and identify resources to facilitate the creation of accessible course content.
- be able explain the principles of Universal Design for Learning Theory (UDL).
- be able to recognize the benefits of a standardized course menu and identify how to customize the course menu and course themes.
- be able to add course content and manage and organize files in the LMS.
- create and manage announcements, create forums and manage discussions, send emails and messages to students within a course, and create groups with collaboration tools.
- be able to create, manage, and grade assignments and tests.
- organize and manage the an LMS Grade Center at the introductory level, including, recording student grades, weighting grades, running grade reports, and using the various tools available
- identify and explain best practices and strategies in online communication and collaboration, and produce a communicative activity that fosters student engagement.
- explain the principles of creating and administering effective assessments in online courses, creating measurable student learning outcomes, and aligning student learning outcomes with lesson objectives, and produce a sample assessment for an online course.
- be able to demonstrate the ability to develop quality online courses that meet quality standards for online courses.
- Introduction to Accessibility
- Introduction to Universal Design for Learning
- Learning Management System (LMS) Skills Training:
• Course Structure and Navigation
• Managing Instructional Content
• Communication Tools
• Managing Assignments and Tests
• Managing the Grade Center and Student Grading
- Best Practices in Course Navigation and Design
- Best Practices in Online Communication & Collaboration
- Best Practices in Online Assessments
- Attendance 100%
- 85% Content assessment score
WHAT IS EPIC?
“EPIC” stands for eLearning Preparedness Initiative across the College – a rigorous Wake Tech quality initiative that has improved online student success and prepared and certified online faculty.
EPIC 30 is part of a larger initiative Wake Tech launched in 2015 to improve student success in online classes.
Dr. Abbie Brown, Professor of Instructional Technology at East Carolina University, said this in his evaluation of the EPIC 30 Curriculum.
"Overall, the EPIC 30 [curriculum] reflects the best practices in design and delivery of asynchronous, online instruction. The [curriculum is] commendable: [it] represents efficient and effective presentation of content; the assessment activities support the learning objectives; and the content arrangement is appropriate in terms of sequence, lesson structure.
Based on my knowledge of similar professional development efforts at higher education institutions, the EPIC 30 [curriculum] represents a relatively rigorous professional development sequence. In my opinion, successful completion of the EPIC 30 sequence should provide a strong foundation for effective online teaching to any motivated faculty member."
- "Though I am an experienced online instructor, I found EPIC 30 courses to be helpful--I learned and tried new things, I was reminded about things I had forgotten and in some cases, I was reminded to return to best practices that I used in the past and pushed aside."
- "I think that Wake Tech is way ahead of many places in systematizing and training faculty for online instruction."
- "Having the opportunity to be EPIC certified is an awesome program that I think all instructors should go through (regardless if they teach online or not)."
Are you a Wake Tech Faculty Member?
Learn more about EPIC Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) on go.waketech.edu (login required)
Are you a Wake Tech Student?
Learn more about eLearning Preparedness at eli.waketech.edu
Are you a North Carolina Community College System faculty member?
You may also be interested in free online teaching resources offered through the Virtual Learning Community (VLC).