Building & Construction
If you have an interest in problem-solving, working with your hands or making a drawing come to life, consider a career in the skilled trades. Positions are available from repairing heating and air conditioning units to installing fiber-optic cable to working as a maintenance technician in a local apartment complex. Gain the knowledge and skills you need today for a career in building, construction and other vocational trades.
Course details and registration information
|Section||Location||Begin Date||End Date||Instructor||Price||Seats Available/Total Seats|
|277348||Eastern Wake Education Center||06/10/2023||07/29/2023||D. Rangel||$160.00||0/14|
- This course will help future homeowners understand how to inspect, purchase, maintain, and live safely in a residential home or apartment.
• Through classroom, and laboratory work, students will learn the basic systems of residential homes and how to maintain them.
• Students will experience simple repair and maintenance projects in plumbing, electrical, and heating systems.
• This course will help students gain the confidence needed to enjoy homeownership and home improvement projects
- 1. Basic Home Construction
• What’s under the paint?
• Squeaks and leaks…What can I do myself?
• Materials and Methods of construction
2. Basic Plumbing
• Water supply
• Drainage, waste and vent
• Toilets and sinks
• Drainage problems
• Plumbing maintenance
3. Basic Electrical
• What’s a shock?
• Power supply
• Electrical circuits
• Electrical maintenance
• Weatherization and energy conservation
• Utility bills
4. Interior Repairs
5. Exterior Repairs
• Roofs and sidings
• Patios and decks
Student Supplies - Safety Glasses, Tape Measure, Pilers, Lineman Pilers, Razor Knife, Philip Head and Flat Screwdriver, and Multimeter
- Attendance 90% or above
ConnectWake Tech eNews
Wake Tech Podcast
Wake Tech Mobile App