View a sample application to see what information is requested and required.
PLEASE NOTE: Tuition Assistance is not the program that offers tuition exemption (one free course) to employees enrolled at Wake Tech. Details about Tuition Exemption, you must first be logged into the Portal. Employees attending Wake Tech may request Tuition Assistance for Wake Tech courses beyond those covered by the Tuition Exemption benefit.
Contact Betsy Beaird
e: [email protected]
- Must meet these eligibility requirements:
- A Wake Tech full-time annual employee and have been for at least one year prior to application date
- In good standing with the college
- Are not on a probationary contract
- Have contributed to last year's Employee Campaign (July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020)
- May apply for up to $1000 in tuition assistance in each application cycle (effective with Fall 2020 classes).
- Are encouraged to notify their supervisor upon submission of a Tuition Assistance application. The Foundation also notifies supervisors by email after each application deadline.
- For required certification and licensure programs, you must first speak with your supervisor. Departmental professional development funds may be available.
- Credit courses must be offered by a regionally-accredited institution. Click here for a list.
- Non-credit courses must be sponsored by an appropriate agency.
- Wake Tech courses may only be requested after the college's Tuition Exemption benefit* has been used. In other words:
- If you are taking only one Wake Tech course, you must use the college's benefit
- If you are taking more than one Wake Tech course, you must use the college's benefit for one of those courses and applyfor the Foundation's Tuition Assistance program for the remaining course(s)
- All applications are reviewed by members of the Tuition Assistance Committee (Executive Vice President, SVP of Curriculum Education, SVP of Continuing Education, Dean of Institutional Effectiveness, and representatives from the Faculty Association and Staff Council).
- Approval is determined by the committee and based on stated program guidelines and availability of funds.
- Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision via email, within four weeks of the application cycle deadline.
- Award payments are made on a reimbursement basis. (See Reimbursement for more information.)
- Employees are eligible to receive Tuition Assistance three times a year, contingent on meeting all stated requirements.
- Employees receiving grants and/or scholarships from other sources in an amount greater than or equal to the cost of tuition, or on educational leave with pay, are not eligible to receive Tuition Assistance. (Employees pursuing associate's or bachelor's degrees are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.)
- To receive reimbursement, pre-approved applicants must earn a grade of “C” or better on an undergraduate course of “B” or better on a graduate course. For courses in which grades are not given, applicants must provide documentation of successful completion.
- Recipients who voluntarily separate from employment at Wake Technical Community College within one year of receiving tuition assistance will be expected to refund the Foundation for the amount received during the last one-year period.
- To request reimbursement, email a completed Tuition Assistance Reimbursement Check Request Form to Lesia Johnson ([email protected]) and cc: Betsy Beaird ([email protected]). (Download the form from the list here.)
- Undergraduate courses receiving below a grade of “C” and graduate courses receiving below a grade of “B” are ineligible for reimbursement. Courses using a Pass/Fail system should be accompanied by a copy of the institution's grading policy. Ungraded courses or certifications should be accompanied by documentation of successful completion.
- Tuition assistance is offered for tuition costs only; student fees are not included.
- Requests must be submitted to the Foundation within 60 calendar days from the date of course completion to receive tuition reimbursement.
- Allow at least 10 business days for checks to be processed. Reimbursement checks will be sent via interoffice mail unless otherwise requested.
- Unused grants approved in one semester will not carry over to subsequent semesters.