Bilingual Courses - Taught in English & Spanish
Course Details & Registration Information
- Know basic operation of heating systems
- Do minor repairs of electrical systems
- Apply general safety practices in the shop area.
- Handle refrigerants safely
- Understand regulations and rules of EPA regarding refrigerants
- Describe the instruments used in heating, air conditioning and refrigeration
- Develop good business practices and interactions with customers
- Basic working knowledge of oil, gas and electric furnaces
- Apply and understand electrical circuits
- Understand heat pump controls and circuits
- Introduction to HVAC
- Copper, Soldering and brazing:
a. Covers tools, materials, and safety precautions and depicts step-by-step procedures for soldering and brazing piping.
- Basic Electricity:
a. Teaches power generation and distribution, electrical components, DC circuits, AC circuits and electrical safety
- Introduction to Cooling:
a. Covers the basic principles of heat transfer, refrigeration, and pressure-temperature relationships, and describes the components and accessories used in air conditioning systems.
- Introduction to Heating:
a. Covers heating fundamentals, types and designs of furnaces and their components and basic procedures for installing and servicing furnaces.
- Air Distribution Systems:
a. Describes air distribution systems and their components, air flow measurement, ductwork installation principles, and the use of instruments of measuring temperature, humidity, pressure, and velocity.
- Introduction to Heat Pump units:
a. Covers the basic principles of heat pump equipment, understanding of thermostats and the components and circuits controlling heat pump units.
a. Covers the safety and handling procedures for units that use refrigerants
- EPA Preparation and Test :
a. Covers the requirements for the EPA 608 examinations.
- Ozone depletion
- Clean Air Act and Montreal Protocol
- Section 608 Regulations
- Substitute Refrigerants and oils
- Recovery Techniques
- Three R’s
- Dehydration Evacuation
Bill Whitman and Johnson, John Tomczyk and Eugene Silberstein
ESCO Institute EPA Certification Exam Preparatory Manual
- Attendance 90% or above
- Successful completion of this course requires 90% attendance and satisfactory class participation (i.e. be able to demonstrate proficiency in all concepts taught). Students with irregular attendance, less than 90% attendance, or who are unable to demonstrate competency will receive a grade of NG (no grade)
- Students must arrive on time on testing day. Students will not be allowed into the classroom after the test begins. NO makeup testing dates will be offered
- Lab exercises, when applicable, are due on the date assigned by the instructor. Late assignments may be accepted only at the instructor’s discretion
- HVAC Helper
- Electrical Wiring - ELC-3119B4
- Apartment Maintenance Technicians Training - MNT-3066B2
- EPA Refrigerant Recovery/Recycling Certification - AHR-3128A2