Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to demonstrate accurate aural comprehension of advanced English grammatical structures.
- be able to demonstrate accurate reading comprehension of advanced English grammatical structures.
- use advanced English grammatical structures to accurately and effectively express ideas.
- Review of Verb Tenses, Assessment Quiz
- Modals, Past Modals
- Conditionals, Hypothetical Statements and Questions
- Clauses - Adverbial, Adjective, Noun
- Past Perfect and Reported Speech
- Transition Words
- Prepositions, Tag Questions
- Review of Course Material, Student Questions, Assessment Quiz
- Attendance 90% or above
- Students who miss no more than two classes may receive a certificate of completion.
- Beyond the Basics: Interpersonal Skills For the Workplace - COM-3711Y3
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 1 - COM-3711W3
- Beyond the Basics: Pronunciation for Non-Native English Speakers Part 2 - COM-3711X3
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3
- Beyond the Basics: Business Writing for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711E2
- Beyond the Basics: Comprehensive Preparation for the TOEFL iBT - SEF-3001AD2
- Beyond the Basics: Vocabulary and Grammar for the TOEFL iBT - SEF-3001AE2
- Beyond the Basics: Better Scores in TOEFL iBT Speaking and Writing - SEF-3001AF2