WAVES is Wake Tech’s volunteer program for the College & Career Readiness Division. This program offers volunteers the opportunity to help adult students realize their educational dreams and career goals.
Opportunities to volunteer:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)
- High School Equivalency Preparation (HSE)
- Adult High School (AHS)
- ABE TOPS (formerly, Compensatory Education)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Immured Populations
Volunteers are needed to:
- Tutor Students
- Encourage and motivate students
- Enrich learning environments
Volunteers commit two to three hours per week for at least one semester.
Volunteer opportunities are available mornings, afternoons, and evenings at the Beltline Education Center, Northern, Western, and Southern (Main) Wake Campuses, and at various public schools, workplace sites, churches and community centers throughout Wake County.
- Knowledge and experience in adult education
- Satisfaction of helping improve NC adult literacy levels
- Enjoyment of working with motivated students
Before placement in a classroom all potential volunteers must attend a two-hour orientation and fill out the required paperwork, including a background check.
Please note: Volunteer positions may not be used to fulfill observation requirements for a teaching practicum. WAVES volunteer placements are neither opportunities to observe teachers nor to teach classes.
Upcoming orientation dates:
|May: Tuesday, May 15|
|June: Wednesday, June 6|
|August: Monday, Aug. 6|
Location: Beltline Education Center, 3200 Bush Street, Raleigh, NC 27609
Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Bring: The names, emails, and phone numbers for two (2) references – at least one (1) should be a professional reference.
Planning on attending an orientation? Let us know.
Please contact Anne Tekmen at 919-334-1546.