Workforce Continuing Education Course Catalog
- Develop general horticultural skills to qualify for an entry-level position as a landscape technician.
- Learn horticultural skills necessary for starting a lawn care and landscaping small businesses.
- Learn proper planting, fertilizing, mulching, and pruning will be covered with the required tools and techniques.
- Learn methods for establishing, renovating, and maintaining landscapes.
- Learn to optimize growing conditions, balance nutrients, and manage pests and diseases.
- Learn about soil testing and how to submit samples and read resulting reports.
- Explore how landscaping practices impact the environment and how to use the newest research-based practices effectively.
- Learn about turf selection, installation, and maintenance.
- I. Introduction: Course Overview, Student Objectives
II. Plants: Taxonomy, Names, Identification
III. Plant Selection: Matching Site Requirements and Plant Characteristics
IV. Turf: Cool v. Warm Season, Lawncare Essentials
V. Soil: Clay v. Sand, Testing, Nutrients
VI. Pests: IPM, Weeds, Diagnostics
VII. Plant Maintenance: Planting, Pruning, Fertilizing, Safety
VIII. The Business of Plants
- Attendance 90% or above
- Lawn Care & Maintenance