A faculty development program designed to increase an experienced faculty member’s mastery of online teaching and pedagogy.
EPIC Exemplary Course Capstone (EPIC 110)–An EPIC Online Teaching Certified faculty member, with supervisor recommendation, is assigned an Instructional Designer who will act as a consultant and mentor over a semester in updating an existing online course to achieve exemplary status. Options for additional support include an SME (Subject Matter Expert), accessibility specialist, assessment specialist, and video transcription assistance. The end product will be a course that has pedagogically sound design and contains engaging content, learning activities, and assessments.
Each course will have its final evaluation, using the EPIC eLearning Quality Standards Rubric with exemplary annotations, completed by an Instructional Designer or Peer Reviewer.
Master Certification Requirements:
In order to earn the EPIC Master Online Teaching Certification, a faculty member must successfully complete:
- Pre-requisite accessibility courses (ACC 110 Accessible Documents, ACC 12 Accessible PowerPoint, and ACC 131 Accessible Videos)** and
- One of the elective courses (EPIC 105, EPIC 106, EPIC 107, or EPIC 108) and
- EPIC 110 (See Participant Eligibility Requirements for EPIC 110)
**Courses must be taken within the last three years
- EPIC Peer Reviewer (EPIC 105) –Training on online course evaluation using the EPIC Quality eLearning Standards and associated rubric. Available only to an EPIC Online Teaching Certified faculty member who has supervisor approval to be a peer reviewer/evaluator of online courses.
- EPIC Mentor (EPIC 106) –Training for new mentors on best practices, policies, goal setting, time management, relationship building, communication, and conflict resolution. Available only to an EPIC Online Teaching Certified faculty member who has supervisor approval to be a mentor.
- EPIC Planning for Accessibility (EPIC 107) –This course discusses accessibility law and standards and how to apply the standards in developing and delivering accessible content. Additionally, the course helps instructors in creating a plan for creating accessible material. Coming in 2019.
- EPIC Teaching and Learning With Technology (EPIC 108) – This course teaches advanced concepts in incorporating technology tools in online learning to foster student engagement and success in online courses. Instructors will learn how to use technology to differentiate instruction and meet various learner needs. Coming in 2019.
Participant Eligibility Requirements for EPIC 110:
An experienced online faculty member who has taught online:
- 4 semesters in the last 5 years
- a minimum of 4 years of online teaching experience
- who has earned EPIC Online Teaching Certification
- has Supervisor approval
- recommended by Dean
- is not under any disciplinary procedures
- and has a personally developed course (courses developed by a colleague are not eligible to be used for the Master Certification Process)