Types of Leave

Vacation Leave

Vacation for employees classified as Faculty is handled distinctively different from employees in other classifications. Faculty are given the time between academic terms as leave in lieu of accumulating vacation leave.

Non-Faculty Personnel

Eligible employees can earn vacation and/or sick leave. Accrual of vacation hours are based on years of service.

Years of Aggregate Service Days Earned
Hours Earned
0 to 5 yrs. 14 days 9.33
5 but less than 10 yrs. 17 days 11.33
10 but less than 15 yrs. 20 days 13.33
15 but less than 20 yrs. 23 days 15.33
20 yrs. or more 26 days 17.33

Sick Leave

All annual employees of the College earn sick leave.

Amount Earned —A full-time annual employee who is working or on paid leave for one-half or more of the regularly scheduled workdays in any month earns sick leave computed at the following rates:

Hours Earned Annually = 96 (12 days)

Hours Earned Monthly = 8

A part-time, annual employee who is employed on a continuing basis for as much as half-time earns sick leave on a pro rata basis if scheduled to work one-half or more of the workdays in a month. 

Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)

Employee Eligibility
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) allows employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid  leave time per year for family and medical needs. To be eligible for FMLA leave, an employee must have worked for the college

  • for a total of 12 months; and
  • for at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months immediately prior to the start of the FMLA leave

Civil and Military Leave 

Civil Leave

  • Jury Duty
    When an annual employee serves on a jury, he is entitled to leave with pay for the period of absence required. The employee is entitled to regular compensation plus fees received for jury duty.
  • Court Attendance
    When an employee attends court in connection with official duties, no leave is required. Fees received as a witness while serving in an official capacity will be turned in to the College. (When an employee is required to attend court on a day that he would normally be off, the time is to be considered as working time and included in the total hours worked per week.)
  • When an annual employee is subpoenaed or directed by proper authority to appear as a witness, he will be granted civil leave with pay. Any fees received will be turned in to the College. The employee may use vacation rather than take civil leave with pay, in which case they may retain any fees received. Note: An employee who is a party (plaintiff or defendant) in court procedure is not considered as a “witness”; therefore, vacation leave must be used, or leave without pay, for purpose of attending court.

Military Leave

  • Annual employees who leave the service of the College to be inducted into the military forces of the United States or are called to federal active duty during time of war or national emergency will be placed on military leave without pay. Such leave will extend through a date not to exceed 90 days after relieved from military service or the end of the first enlistment. Upon application to the College within 90 days of the date of discharge, the employee will be entitled to reinstatement in the same position or one of like seniority status and pay.
  • Military leave with pay may be granted for up to 120 working hours (prorated for part-time, annual employees) during the Federal fiscal year, beginning October 1 and ending September 30, for any type of active military duty for members not on extended active duty. See FMLA (Military Leave) for Active Duty Leave or Servicemember Covered Leave policies. 

Community Service Leave

Community service as it pertains to college employees includes:

  • Meeting with a teacher or school administrator concerning the employee’s child
  • Attending any school-sponsored function in which the employee’s child is participating (nonathletic programs that are a part of or supplement the school’s academic or artistic program)
  • Volunteer work for a school, another community college, a public university, a community service organization, or a state agency that is approved by an administrator or other official or designee

Recognizing the need for volunteers to support schools and other community organizations and the commitment of college employees to volunteer service, community service leave may be granted to employees for the following:

  • parental involvement in children’s schools
  • tutoring, mentoring, and other volunteer activity in schools or in community service organizations as defined below
  • volunteer service in a public university, another community college, or a state agency, or a community service organization, provided the service is outside an employee’s normal scope of duties and no compensation of any kind is received for the service

The following are eligible for community service leave:

  • Full-time annual employees (20 hours of leave per year awarded Jan 1)
  • Part-time annual employees (leave accrues at pro-rated amount)
  • Trainees in full-time and part-time positions 

Educational Leave

The Board of Trustees may grant educational leave to full-time, annual personnel, upon recommendation of the President, or designee. Educational leave will be granted only when the best interests of the College are to be served.

Voluntary Shared Leave

An employee may donate leave, as outlined below, to an employee approved to receive voluntary shared leave because of a medical condition of the employee or of a member of the employee’s immediate family that will require the employee’s absence for a prolonged period.

Employee Eligibility

  • To be eligible to receive shared leave the recipient must be earning leave.
  • The medical condition must require the recipient employee’s absence for at least 20 consecutive workdays. The President, or designee, may make an exception to the 20-day period if the recipient has had previous random absences for the same condition that has caused excessive absences, or if the employee has had a previous, but different, prolonged medical condition within the last twelve months.
  • The employee must apply for shared leave.
  • The employee must provide medical evidence to support the need.
  • If not an employee of the College, the recipient must be approved by the parent agency to participate in the program.
  • The employee must have exhausted all sick, vacation, and bonus leave.

Detailed information about each leave plan can be found in the Employee Handbook, Chapter 6.

Years of Aggregate Service Days Earned
Hours Earned
0 to 5 yrs. 14 days 9.33
5 but less than 10 yrs. 17 days 11.33
10 but less than 15 yrs. 20 days 13.33
15 but less than 20 yrs. 23 days 15.33
20 yrs. or more 26 days 17.33