Individual counseling includes brief, confidential sessions for students who have personal or social concerns or are experiencing emotional distress. Counselors work one-on-one with students to identify problems, define goals, and develop skills to manage problems more effectively.
Students can expect to meet with a counselor in a private, confidential setting for 30-45 minutes. At the first session, students will complete a brief intake and discuss concerns, problems, and goals. The counselor will then determine what resources are appropriate and if needed, schedule subsequent sessions.
Group counseling offers support in a group setting, to address common personal and social challenges.
Purpose: Provide a supportive, nonjudgmental environment for students to discuss and process distress between peers who have experienced similar adversity. It helps to build a social support network and foster a greater sense of well-being.
No group sessions are currently scheduled. Those interested in group counseling should contact [email protected].
- Crisis counseling and assistance includes emotional support, interventions, and feedback to assist students in crisis.
- Consultations, workshops, and referrals are also available.
Counseling sessions are strictly confidential, as is information about students who seek counseling; according to North Carolina law and the professional standards and ethics under which counselors practice. Counseling files are NOT part of academic records.
Confidential information is not shared outside of Wake Tech except in the following circumstances:
- When a student has provided signed, written consent for the release of information.
- When a student expresses intent to harm himself/herself or another person.
- When there is reasonable suspicion of abuse or neglect of a minor child, elderly person, or dependent adult.
- When a subpoena or other court order requires the disclosure of information.
- When a counselor deems it necessary to consult with other counseling staff in order to provide the best care for a student.