Automotive & Transportation
Explore a career in the automotive industry, enhance your skills, or start your own business.
Course Details & Registration Information
- List the nine inspection areas inspector mechanics must check during a safety inspection
- Identify eight emission control devices installed by vehicle manufacturers
- Determine what emissions control devices are required on a vehicle by using the Emission Control System Applications Manual
- Calibrate and utilize a headlight aimer
- Calibrate and utilize a window tint meter
- Utilizing the safety inspection regulation manual the student shall be able to successfully complete a North Carolina State Safety Inspection
A. Inspection Fees
B. Technician Qualifications
C. Inspection Procedure
D. Vehicle Components
E. 19A NCAC 03D .0541 EXHAUST EMISSION CONTROLS
F. 19A NCAC 03D .0542 EMISSIONS CONTROL DEVICE
G. § 20-183.8A. Civil penalties against motorists for emissions violations; waiver.
H. 19A NCAC 03D .0544 SAFETY INSPECTION OF MOTORCYCLES
I. EMISSION CONTROL DEVICE EXEMPTION
J. 19A NCAC 03D .0551 WINDOW TINTING
K. § 20-127(c) Tinting Exceptions
L. Medical Exemption
M. Safety Analyzer Operating Procedure
N. Penalty Schedule for Licensed Safety/OBD Inspection Stations
O. Inspections Update
P. Noteworthy Topics
- North Carolina State Safety Vehicle Inspectors
Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
LT-310 Action Form-Revised June 2020 signed by employer
DMV approved material and provided by the college.
Safety Inspection/Emission Inspection Regulations
Emission Control System Application Manual
- Attendance 100%
- Successful completion of this course requires 100% attendance and satisfactory class participation (i.e. be able to demonstrate proficiency in all concepts taught). Students with irregular attendance (less than 100% attendance) or those who are unable to demonstrate competency will receive a grade of NG (no grade). Please note that late students will not be admitted to class.
- Students will conduct an emissions inspection of a motor vehicle, and a passing score of 80% or higher is required on both the written test and the hands-on test.
- State issued ID and station number.
- Students must arrive on time on testing day. Students will not be allowed into the classroom after the test begins. NO makeup testing dates will be offered.
- Safety glasses
- Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- Note paper
Have successfully completed an eight-hour course approved by the Division that teaches students about the safety equipment a motor vehicle is required to have to pass a safety inspection and how to conduct a safety inspection using equipment to electronically transmit the vehicle information and inspection results.
- North Carolina State Safety Vehicle Inspector