Resources for Students in Online Courses
Individualized Learning Center (ILC)
Wake Tech students have access to the ILC's free tutorial services on Southern Wake Campus, Scott Northern Wake Campus, Western Wake Campus, the Perry Health Sciences Campus and the Public Safety Education Campus, and online assistance is available to students enrolled in online courses.
Online and hybrid courses are available on the first day of the term.
Important browser information
Check with Blackboard to ensure your operating system and web browser are compatible with Blackboard’s online course management system.
Getting ready for an online course
- Make sure that your computer is ready for online learning
- Review the Blackboard Orientation, which provides an introduction on how to navigate Blackboard and use its features, as well as how each separate menu area (Announcements, Getting Started, Faculty Information, etc.) functions within active courses.
- If you are new to Wake Tech or have not taken an online course at Wake Tech in the last five years, you must complete the eLearning Intro before you may register for an online course. eLearning Intro is a free introduction to online learning available in Blackboard and can be taken at any time. Log in to Wake Tech's Blackboard system with your student Key Account username and password, and click the eLearning Intro link in your Courses List.
- Log in to Blackboard on the first day of the term with your Wake Tech student email account and password. Links to username and password formulas follow:
- Open your online course
- Select Courses from the navigation menu on the left sidebar then enter your course
- Read the Announcements
- Become familiar with the layout of the course by clicking on the links in the course menu on the left
- Locate the syllabus and the course schedule
- Determine how the instructor takes attendance in your online class
- After the course begins, don't hesitate to contact your instructor or a classmate if you have questions or concerns about your online course content
- Check your Wake Tech email account
- Students automatically receive free Office 365 email accounts through the college's student portal, my.waketech.edu. To activate your Office 365 email, log in to the portal.
- Your Wake Tech email address is the default email for your online courses. Instructors will reply only to official Wake Tech email messages.
- Use the online support services that are available to all students
A Student Support link appears in the course menu of every online course. You can also access these services by selecting the Assist menu item from your Blackboard homepage
- Don't hesitate to contact your instructor or a classmate if you have a question or concern about your online course content.
- If you are having technical problems with Blackboard, contact your instructor or Blackboard Help for Students.