Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to differentiate voiced and unvoiced sounds as evidenced by performance in classroom activities.
- be able to identify and pronounce thought groups correctly 75% of the time as evidenced by performance in classroom activities.
- be able to make use of strategies for disagreeing and clarifying as evidenced by performance in classroom activities.
- Week 1: Introductions, Course Overview, Diagnostic Test, Disagreeing and Correcting, Emphasizing Structure Words
- Week 2: Continuants and Stops - /s/ and /t/, /r/ and /d/, /l/ and /d/
- Week 3: Voicing
- Week 4: Voicing and Syllable Length, Aspiration
- Week 5: Sibilants
- Week 6: Thought Groups
- Week 7: Course Review, Diagnostic Re-Test
- Attendance 80% or above
- Participants may receive a certificate of completion with two of fewer absences. Attendance is not required at make-up dates.
- Beyond the Basics: Business Writing for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711E2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3