Nurse Aide II
The Nurse Aide II course provides training in selected advanced NA procedures. Emphasis is placed on sterile techniques, wound and tracheostomy care, respiratory procedures, catheterizations, irrigations, and ostomy care. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate the skills necessary to qualify as a Nurse Aide II with NCBON.
Nurse Aide II Requirements
- Advanced English language skills
- You must be 18 years old
- You must have proof of your high school diploma or GED (must be submitted to your instructor)
- You must have proof of a current/active Nurse Aide I listing in North Carolina with no substantiated findings (must be submitted to your instructor)
- Access to a computer with internet service and the ability to access and use Moodle
- Before or after you register for your Nurse Aide class, submit and pay for your criminal background check, drug test and medical documentation manager with CastleBranch ($116.00)
Select: Nurse Aide
Order Package Code: WM83
Once your account is set up with CastleBranch, they will send you a message explaining where you need to submit your urine sample a minimum of 30 days before your class goes to clinical.
The following clinical paperwork must be uploaded To CastleBranch on or before the date of the Final Exam for your class:
- Correctly completed Wake Tech CC physical form
- Copy of current CPR card. American Heart Association Basic Life Support for the HCP is required
- Copy of Wake Tech CC photo ID
- Flu shot for classes with clinical dates between October 15 and April 30
- Health Insurance
Proof of immunizations:
- TDAP within last 10 years
- 2 MMR or proof of immunity (CDC requires 28 days between vaccines)
- 2 Varicella or proof of immunity (CDC requires 28 days between vaccines)
- 2 Negative PPD (TB) within the past 12 months. The last test must be within 1 year of the last day of the class. We will accept the QuantiFERON Gold TB Blood Test.
- 3 Hepatitis B or sign decline waiver (Page 8 of the Student Medical Form)
One of the following is required:
- COVID-19 Vaccination(s) or
- A Signed Declination Waiver - (available to download from CastleBranch for this requirement)
- Documentation must include type of vaccine/manufacturer and lot number for approval
- If series is in process, submit where you are and a new alert will be created for you to complete the series
Nurse Aide II Costs
- Tuition: The 2019 registration fee is $250.This includes tuition fee, malpractice and accidental insurance fees, lab supply fee, and a Campus Access Fee that includes your parking decal.
- The criminal background check, drug test, and medical documentation manager $116.00 need to be submitted and paid to CastleBranch before or after you register for your Nurse Aide class. CastleBranch will tell you where to submit your urine sample before your class begins. https://portal.castlebranch.com/WL15
- The Parking Decal Fee is now included in your tuition in the Campus Access Fee. You can obtain your parking decal and Wake Tech ID before or on the first day of class.
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support for the HCP CPR Certification is required. Wake Technical Community College offers this CPR certification for $75. (See Wake Tech’s CPR class schedule)
- Physical using our health form and immunizations: Price will vary based on doctor fees and insurance. Please see the clinical paperwork deadline for your class and allow enough time if you need immunizations.
- Uniform: Price will vary depending on the place of purchase. Dark navy blue plain scrubs and closed-toe, closed heel black non-canvas shoes and black ankle socks are required for clinical (black sneakers are accepted). You will need to wear scrubs for clinical and dress modestly for class and lab.
- Other costs: Stethoscope and a watch with a second-hand.
- NCBON $24 fee for the NAII North Carolina State listing.
Registration with a Scholarship or Sponsorship
If you have been awarded a scholarship or sponsorship to fund the registration cost of your Nurse Aide I class, please contact Tamala Lewis, Career Pathways Coach at [email protected] or 919-532-5797.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening
Clinical facilities require that all Nurse Aide II students submit a criminal background check and urine drug screening. Wake Technical Community College and the clinical facilities have designated CastleBranch as the criminal background check and drug screening provider. Wake Tech will not accept results from any company other than CastleBranch.
Students are responsible for the cost of the criminal background check, drug test and medical documentation manager and all are non-refundable.
Criminal Background Check
- The criminal background check is good for 1 year and must be valid throughout your entire class.
All types of felony or misdemeanor convictions, those that are pending, and questionable histories will be reviewed by the clinical site and admittance into the clinical setting will be determined by the clinical facility.
The clinical facility decision is final.
The following criminal histories will likely disqualify a student from participating in the clinical component:
- Any pending charges
- Convictions/deferred adjudications involving crimes against persons (Physical or sexual abuse, neglect, assault, murder, etc.)
- Convictions related to moral turpitude (prostitution, public lewdness/exposure, etc.)
- Convictions/deferred adjudications related to the sale, possession, distribution, or transfer of narcotics or controlled substances
- Registered sex offenders
Any student with a flagged criminal background check that has been declined by the clinical location will be contacted by a Wake Tech staff member.
The drug urine sample must be submitted and completed before your class goes to clinical.
Please note the clinical dates for your class when you register.
Any student with a positive drug test will be contacted by CastleBranch.
Directions for Submitting and Paying for the Criminal Background Check, Drug Screening, and Medical Documentation Manager:
For additional questions please call 919-747-0120.
Class Withdrawal/Transfer Policy
Students may withdraw and receive:
- A 100% refund if the student officially withdraws from the class (by written request) before the first class meeting.
- A 75% refund if the student officially withdraws from the class (by written request) on or before the 10-percent date of scheduled hours. Community school, facility, and lab fees are non-refundable.
- A full refund for classes canceled by the college. Students do not have to request these refunds.
To submit a Withdrawal Request students need to go to www.waketech.edu
- Choose Non-Degree Programs
- Choose Need Help Just Ask (Refunds, Transcripts, Forms)
- Choose Request a Refund, then Login
Transfers are dependent on availability in the new class. In order to transfer to another section, the student must email Mary Frucelli [email protected] the following:
- Full name
- Wake Tech ID#
- Section number of the class
- Home phone number
- Mailing address
Emergency Cancellations and Closings
Wake Technical Community College emergency cancellations and closings are posted on the college web page and messages are on the main phone line 919-866-5000. Current students with a Wake Tech email are automatically registered to receive Wake Tech Warn email alerts from the college emergency alert system. Students can also sign up with Wake Tech Warn to receive phone text messages and voice mail in the event of an emergency or inclement weather situation.
Nurse Aide classes scheduled from August through March will have mandatory inclement weather makeup dates built into their class schedules. In the event the college closes and an entire lab or clinical class day is missed, mandatory makeup dates will be used in the same order they are listed on the class schedule. If closings result in the partial lab or clinical hours missed, these hours will be made up by adding hours to existing class dates to make up the time. Totally seated classes that miss lecture hours due to any college closing will make up the hours online. If a totally seated or hybrid class misses a test due to any college closing, the test will be moved to the next seated class day. The attendance policy for mandatory makeup dates is the same as a regular class date.
Please regularly check your Wake Tech email or the email address you provided. This is our primary way to contact you about important updates concerning your Nurse Aide class.
For more information: [email protected]; 919-747-0120