Workforce Continuing Education Course Catalog
- 1. Demonstrate knowledge and competence in the academic and technical fields
related to bioprocess manufacturing.
2. Use critical thinking to analyze and solve problems.
3. Communicate effectively.
4. Demonstrate positive, effective, and appropriate interpersonal skills.
- In addition to learning material in the textbook, students conduct laboratory experiments and practice team work, which is an essential part of the biomanufacturing industryThere are 9 units in BioWork. About 25% of the class takes place in the lab
Unit 1: Your New Job is an orientation to the process-manufacturing industries.
Unit 2: Working Safely covers basic safety attitudes and approaches.
Unit 3: Building Quality into the Product emphasizes the importance of making quality products.
Unit 4: Measuring Process Variables provides an introduction to the metric system and the measurement of variables critical to controlling processes.
Unit 5: Transforming Matter covers a review of the basic chemistry needed by process technicians.
Unit 6: Learning the Nuts and Bolts provides information about biomanufacturing equipment, systems, and plant utilities.
Unit 7: Controlling the Process covers the basic principles of process control systems.
Unit 8: Maintaining Sterile Processes introduces the basics of microorganisms, contamination, and the concept of working in aseptic manufacturing environments.
Unit 9: Growing Living Cells covers bioprocess manufacturing principles and operations.
- An awareness of the importance of safety, both for the workers and product
Complying with cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices)
Following an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)
Reading an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
Completing a batch record
Using the metric system
Using common pumps and valves
Reading a process diagram
Making chemical solutions
Preparing growth media
- Attendance 85% or above
- Manufacturing Process Technician