Frequently Asked Questions

Are part time students eligible for financial aid?

Part-time students may be eligible for financial aid if they are enrolled in an eligible program. Grants are prorated based on enrollment and part-time students can still receive a portion of an awarded grant. North Carolina state grants and student loans require students to be enrolled in at least six credit hours. It is suggested that students maintain at least half-time enrollment in order to maximize their opportunity for aid.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Financial need is determined for each academic year. You will need to submit a new FAFSA or renewal FAFSA every year for the upcoming academic year.

Do I need to reapply for summer aid?

If you received PELL funds fall or spring at Wake Technical or any other college your summer eligibility is any remaining funds that you did not use fall or spring. For example, if you attended full time fall and spring you received your full PELL award for the academic year and you will not have eligibility for summer PELL. If you enrolled part-time both semesters you will have PELL funds to assist with your costs. If you borrowed the maximum loans you will not have remaining loan eligibility for summer. Any remaining PELL eligibility will be awarded automatically provided students are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. You must submit the loan request form to request a summer loan. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office prior to registering to determine their eligibility.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

To be considered for any type of federal, state or need-based financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Be sure to include Wake Tech's school code (004844) on the application.

How will I receive my financial aid?

Upon being awarded, you are eligible to charge your tuition, fees and books against your financial aid. Once all charges have been deducted from your award amount and your attendance has been verified, a check for any excess monies will be mailed to you. It is the policy of the Business Office that checks be mailed and not picked up. It is critical that your correct address be on file in the Registrar's Office.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You can apply anytime between January 1 and June 30 of the academic year for which you plan to attend. However, eligibility for some state grants require that you apply before March 15 (prior to the fall semester you will be attending). Also, the Wake Tech Financial Aid Office requires that your FAFSA be processed and all requested documentation be turned in by June 1 in order to defer tuition and fees for fall semester pre-registration.

My SAR indicates I was selected for "verification." What does that mean?

The federal government randomly selects approximately 30% of all aid recipients for verification. This means the Financial Aid Office must verify the information you submitted on your FAFSA by collecting tax returns and other documents to confirm the accuracy of your information. The college will contact you by email to inform you of what is needed. You should submit all documents promptly to avoid delays in processing your application.

What are the enrollment requirements to be eligible to receive financial aid?

In order to receive financial aid of any kind, you must be enrolled in an eligible program. Only a limited number of diploma and certificate programs are eligible for financial aid. Special studies students are not eligible.

To be considered a full-time student and receive the maximum amount of financial aid you are entitled to receive, you must be enrolled at least 12 credit hours. You may still be eligible to receive financial aid if you are enrolled less than full time, but your award will be reduced accordingly and in some cases, making you ineligible to receive any financial aid. 

What if my/my parents' financial situation has changed?

If a student or parent's financial situation has drastically changed since filing last year's tax return, the student should speak with a Financial Aid Specialist. There are provisions in which this may be taken into consideration and a change in eligibility could occur.

What makes me an independent?

The federal government will consider you an independent student if you meet one of the following guidelines: you are 24 years of age or older; married; enrolled in a graduate program (ex., Master's or doctorate); have legal dependents other than spouse; you are an orphan or ward of the court; or you are a veteran. In all other cases, you will have to provide your parents' income information.

What types of financial aid are available?

There are four main types of financial aid: grants (which do not have to be paid back), work-study, scholarships and loans. The FAFSA determines a student's eligibility.