Financial Aid FAQs

Got a question about financial aid? You're not alone. Here are some of the most common ones. Feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office at 919-866-5410 or [email protected] if you need other questions answered.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To be considered for any type of federal, state or need-based financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to include Wake Tech's school code (004844) on the application.

When should I apply for financial aid?

Apply as soon as possible for the academic year you are planning to attend.

You can apply starting October 1 for the subsequent academic year, all the way through June 30 at the end of the current academic year. However, eligibility for some state grants require that you apply as soon as possible – prior to the Fall semester you will be attending. Also, the Financial Aid Office requires that your FAFSA be processed and all requested documentation turned in by July 1 to defer tuition and fees for Fall semester pre-registration.

What types of financial aid are available?

There are four main types of financial aid:

  • Scholarships
  • Grants
  • Loans
  • Work-Study jobs

The FAFSA determines a student's eligibility for any forms of financial aid.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Financial need is determined for each academic year. You will need to submit a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid or renewal FAFSA every year for the upcoming academic year.

What are the enrollment requirements to be eligible to receive financial aid?

In order to receive financial aid of any kind, you must be enrolled in an eligible program. Only a limited number of diploma and certificate programs are eligible for financial aid. Special studies students are not eligible.

To be considered a full-time student and receive the maximum amount of financial aid you are entitled to receive, you must be enrolled at least 12 credit hours. You may still be eligible to receive financial aid if you are enrolled less than full time, but your financial aid offer will be reduced accordingly, making you ineligible to receive any financial aid in some cases.

Are part-time students eligible for financial aid?

Part-time students may be eligible for financial aid if they are enrolled in an eligible program. Grants are prorated based on enrollment, and part-time students can still receive a portion of an offered grant. North Carolina state grants and student loans require students to be enrolled in at least six credit hours. It is suggested that students maintain at least half-time enrollment in order to maximize their opportunity for aid.

How will I receive my financial aid?

Upon being offered financial aid, you are eligible to charge your tuition, fees and books against your financial aid. Once all charges have been deducted from your offer amount and your attendance has been verified, any excess monies will be sent to you based on the preference selected through BankMobile. If you have not received instructions from BankMobile, please email the Cashier's Office at [email protected].

It is critical that your correct address is on file in the Registrar's Office.

What if my or my parents' financial situation has changed?

If a student's or his or her parents' financial situation has drastically changed since filing the prior, prior year's tax return, which is used to complete the FAFSA, the student should contact a Financial Aid specialist. There are provisions in which this may be taken into consideration and a change in eligibility could occur.

What makes me an independent student?

The federal government will consider you an independent student if you meet one of the following guidelines:

  • 24 years of age or older
  • Married
  • Enrolled in a graduate degree program
  • Have legal dependents other than a spouse whom you support more than 50%
  • Orphan or ward of the court
  • Veteran

In all other cases, you will have to provide your parents' income information.

My SAR indicates I was selected for "verification." What does that mean?

The federal government randomly selects approximately 30% of all aid recipients for verification. This means the Financial Aid Office must verify the information submitted on a FAFSA by collecting tax returns and other documents to confirm the accuracy of the information.

Officials will email any student going through the verification process to inform them of what is needed. Students should submit all documents promptly to avoid delays in processing their applications.