What is FERPA?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and it is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education such as Federal Financial Aid for students.

As a parent, you may want access to your student's grades, financial records, academic records, and other records. We recognize how important parents and other family members are to the success of our students, but we are limited to the information we can share by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which protects and governs the release of certain student records.

When a student, regardless of age, enters (is in attendance the first day of classes) an institution of higher education such as Wake Tech, all rights to inspect and review the education record transfer from the parent to the student under FERPA. A student's educational records are confidential and will only be shared by the university official with other Wake Tech administrators or lending agencies that have a legitimate need to know this information. With a student's permission, we will share the student's records (academic records, account/billing information, and/or financial aid records) with the student's parent(s), spouse, and/or other individuals the student may choose to designate. This privacy release will remain in effect, unless revoked by the student, for the duration of the student's enrollment at Wake Tech. If a student would like to grant access to release his/her student's recordClick here for more information.

In some cases, if you claim the student as a dependent on your income tax return, you may have access to the student's Wake Tech education records without the student's prior written consent by filling out the Parent(s) Certification of Student's Dependent Status for Federal Income Tax Purposes. This paperwork expires on April 15th of the next year and must be completed again with the current year's tax paperwork showing the student is still being claimed as a dependent. This form can be accessed through Parent Certification of Student's Dependent Status

For more information on FERPA, you can access the Department of Education's website.

General questions or concerns may be directed to Holly Swart, Registrar of Registration & Student Records Services Office at 919-866-5933 or [email protected] .