Welcome LGBTQIA Students
“All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.”—Harvey Milk
“If Harry Potter taught us anything it’s that no one should live in a closet.”—J. K Rowling
"Somebody, your father or mine, should have told us that not many people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished, and are perishing every hour--and in the oddest places!--for the lack of it."--Author James Baldwin
“You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender – people are people. –Judith Light
WAKE TECH RESOURCES
- Full Spectrum is Wake Tech’s GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance), open to all LGBTQ students and their allies.
- Gender- Neutral / Single Stall Restrooms - There are gender-neutral / Single Stall restrooms on campus. Stay tuned for the updated list.
- The Nest Food Pantry - Is available to all students who have food insecurities.
- LGBTQ Online Resource List by Category
- Library Resources A guide to library and campus resources for the LGBT community and allies.
- Student Advocacy and Support Wake Tech assist students with easier access to a wide range of resources and benefits.
- Wellness Services is a Wake Tech resource providing counseling and referral services to empower students to resolve problems and reach personal and academic goals.
- Assistance With Changing Your Name - contact Holly Swart, Sr. Dean of Registration & Records Curriculum Registrar.
- Equality North Carolina is dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) North Carolinians.
- LGBT Center of Raleigh's mission is to strengthen individual and community development through social and educational activities; to facilitate the incubation of supportive services and groups; and to identify needs and advocate for resources benefiting the diverse population of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, their friends and supporters within and beyond central North Carolina.
- Lambda Legal was founded in 1973. Lambda Legal is the oldest and largest national legal organization whose mission is to achieve full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
National Center for Transgender Equality was founded in 2003 and its mission is to advocate to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people.
- PFLAG was founded in 1972 and its mission is to support families, allies and people who are LGBTQ, education for themselves and others about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQ and advocacy in the communities to change attitudes and create policies and laws that achieve full equality for people who are LGBTQ.
The Safe Zone Project is a free online resource for creating powerful, effective LGBTQ awareness and Ally training workshops.
The Trevor Project was founded in 1998 by the creators of the Academy Award®-winning short film TREVOR. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24.
Teaching Tolerance is a blog, a place where educators who care about diversity, equity and justice can find news, suggestions, conversation and support.