An Ombuds is an impartial resource for students, faculty, staff, and administrators. The Ombuds’ function is to help visitors to the office find options for addressing concerns, resolving conflicts, and handling a variety of institutional issues as they arise, in a confidential and informal manner.
The Ombuds Office is a place where all are welcome. It supplements, but does not replace, formal college channels for problem solving. Retaliation for visiting the Ombuds is prohibited.
What the Ombuds Does
- Facilitates conversations between members of the campus community
- Discusses concerns, helps clarify/prioritize issues, and identifies and evaluates options
- Provides coaching as needed (e.g. to help someone prepare for a difficult conversation)
- Gathers information, explains policies, and offers referrals to other resources
- Facilitates the resolution of a conflict using mediation and other strategies to achieve fair and mutually-beneficial outcomes
- Consults with groups on the development of policies and procedures
- Consults with college officials about broad issues and trends
- Makes recommendations for institutional change, when appropriate
Sampling of Topics that a Visitor May Want to Discuss
What the Ombuds Does Not Do
The Ombuds does not make decisions for anyone, serve as an official advocate, offer legal advice, keep official records, participate in formal grievances (or other formal processes), offer psychological counseling, or address issues involving persons outside the institution.
The Ombuds does not have the power to establish, change, or set aside college rules, policies, or management decisions. The Ombuds does not testify in any judicial or administrative proceeding, unless required by law after reasonable attempts at protecting confidentiality have been made.
Contacting the Ombuds Office
In-person visits are most productive!
Visit the Ombuds Office – on Southern Wake Campus (Building N - 131) or Scott Northern Wake Campus (Building F - 301) – to chat or simply learn more about services. While scheduling an appointment is helpful, drop-in visitors are welcome and will be seen as quickly as possible.
Phone consultations are also available by calling 919-866-5479.
The Ombuds does not conduct business through email due to confidentiality constraints.
Wake Tech Ombuds Office
Jerry Nuesell, Ph.D
Southern Wake Campus: Building N - 131
Scott Northern Wake Campus: Building F - 301