ROTC Military Science
Wake Technical Community College offers Military Science courses in support of the U.S. Army Reserve Officer Training Candidate (ROTC) program. The objective of the ROTC program is to produce commissioned Officers in the US Army.
ROTC program benefits include:
- Free books, uniforms and equipment
- Course holistic approach develops life skills
- Scholarship to a four year university which offers ROTC
- The opportunity to become a commissioned officer (A new lieutenant makes $2665 a month plus non taxable housing and food allowances)
The first two years are conducted at Wake Tech. There is no military contract obligation the first two years, unless on scholarship or SMP (National Guard or Reserve) contract. Based on a bilateral agreement between the two schools, Military Science (MSI) courses completed at Wake Tech may be transferrable to North Carolina State University (NCSU) via the ROTC program. To receive credit for MSI courses and to be accepted into NCSU, transfer students must meet NCSU entry requirements and ROTC contract requirements. Other Universities with ROTC programs may also elect to award transfer credit for MSI courses completed at Wake Tech. Scholarships covering tuition, fees, and books are transferable, regardless of the cost of tuition.
Scholarships are available on a competitive basis for students meeting the following requirements:
- Full time student (taking over 12 credit hours per semester)
- Academically aligned
- 2.5 GPA
- Enrolled in the College Transfer Program
- Pass an Army physical fitness test (The test consists of a two mile run; and pushups and situps in two minutes. Test standards vary by age and gender.)
- Meet Army height and weight standards
- Pass a physical
- Pass a background check
Military Science courses are section petition restricted, and students must contact the instructor for permission to take the course. Courses consist of classroom, lab, and physical fitness components.
Qualified students can now join and take part in all NC State Army ROTC classes, labs and physical training. The NCSU/Waketech ROTC office is located in room 145, Reynolds Coliseum (2411 E Dunn Ave.) on the NC State University Campus. For enrollment and scholarship information you may contact Captain Joseph Fix, 919-513-0861, [email protected] or Captain Cedric Cato, 919-513-0863 [email protected].