Plus 50 Lifelong Learning
Wake Tech offers courses designed especially for adults 50 and over that can help you discover a new career, improve your job search skills, plan for retirement, or explore personal interests.
Check out these programs and resources:
Become an Entrepreneur
You may have dreamed of starting a business or turning hobbies or volunteer work into a money-making operation. Wake Tech's Small Business Center and Entrepreneurship Initiatives programs have resources to help get you started. Talk with an SBC advisor (live and in person!) in a free, confidential session, any time questions arise.
Retired to Re-hired!
Going back into the workforce can be daunting: You may wonder about your tech skills or generation gaps in the workplace - or you may be seeing a challenge you haven't identified yet. Wake Tech's Career Transitions Forum is a great place to start. This unique, weekly series of lectures and networking activities brings professionals together to share ideas and experience in a supportive environment.
Course Details & Registration Information
- have identified care provider positions, titles and roles;
- have explored career opportunities as a care provider;
- have identified skills, training and traits that are needed to be a successful child/elder care provider;
- have developed ways to communicate effectively as a care provider to different audiences;
- have utilized skills for researching, organizing, and presenting.
- have developed a general understanding of the requirements for the child/elder care provider industry
- have learned about educational programs for further education to develop and improve employability skills
- Introductions, registrations, internet job search, identifying roles and opportunities
- Communicating with children and elderly
- Work environments for the childcare and elder care provider
- Identify developmental and aging stages
- Communication skills with guardians, relatives, co-workers, employer
- Explore business and child care options
- Identify social aspects of aging
- Tips on behavior management
- Discuss ethical issues
- Nutrition and wellness for children and elderly
- Identify developmental activities and learning environments
- Explore business and elder care options
- Discuss customer service skills
- Demonstrate presentation skills
- Discuss further education and training requirements
- Attendance 90% or above
- Maintain 80 percent average and complete assignments
- Introduction to Direct Care Work - HRD-3004AY4