Plus 50 Lifelong Learning
Wake Tech's Plus 50 program offers courses such as yoga, dance, Spanish and scrapbooking. If you take a course at a location other than a Wake Tech campus, such as a senior center, you must register for the course at that specific location.
In addition to courses offered at various Wake Tech campuses and sites, we offer programs at senior centers, community and recreation sites throughout Wake County.
Partner sites and senior centers
Become an entrepreneur
You may have dreamed of starting a business or turning hobbies or volunteer work into a money-making operation. Wake Tech's Small Business Center and Entrepreneurship Initiatives programs have resources to help get you started. Talk with an SBC advisor in a free, confidential session any time questions arise.
Retired to re-hired
Going back into the workforce can be daunting: You may wonder about your tech skills or generation gaps in the workplace – or you may be seeing a challenge you haven't identified yet. Wake Tech's Career Transitions Forum is a great place to start. This unique, weekly series of lectures and networking activities brings professionals together to share ideas and experience in a supportive environment.
Course details and registration information
- have identified care provider positions, titles and roles.
- have explored career opportunities as a care provider.
- have identified skills, training and traits that are needed to be a successful child/elder care provider.
- have developed ways to communicate effectively as a care provider to different audiences.
- have utilized skills for researching, organizing, and presenting.
- have developed a general understanding of the requirements for the child/elder care provider industry.
- have learned about educational programs for further education to develop and improve employability skills.
- Introductions, registrations, internet job search, identifying roles and opportunities
- Communicating with children and elderly
- Work environments for the childcare and elder care provider
- Identify developmental and aging stages
- Communication skills with guardians, relatives, co-workers, employer
- Explore business and child care options
- Identify social aspects of aging
- Tips on behavior management
- Discuss ethical issues
- Nutrition and wellness for children and elderly
- Identify developmental activities and learning environments
- Explore business and elder care options
- Discuss customer service skills
- Demonstrate presentation skills
- Discuss further education and training requirements
- Attendance 90% or above
- Maintain 80 percent average and complete assignments
- Personal Care Aide - HRD-3001BY2