The Heavy Equipment Operator curriculum prepares students to efficiently operate heavy equipment such as dozers, loaders, scrapers, and graders and to perform basic preventive maintenance on most types of heavy equipment. Coursework includes construction safety, property equipment operation, grades, drawings, environmental concerns, heavy equipment design characteristics and features, equipment maintenance, and common equipment systems. Graduates of this program may find employment with state and local government agencies and private contractors engaged in highway or other construction activities.
Work-based learning (formerly Co-op) opportunities are available.
LIMITED ENROLLMENT PROGRAM
Heavy Equipment and Transport Technologies, Agricultural Systems Technology, Construction Systems Technology, and Heavy Equipment Operation, Management and Service are limited enrollment programs which have unique admission requirements, policies, procedures, schedules, and deadlines which are subject to change. Interested applicants for our limited enrollment programs should complete the entire application process including placement testing and review with an Academic Advisor. The Advisor will go over essential information and give you a Limited Enrollment Student Checklist which outlines and directs you to the next steps for limited enrollment programs. When meeting with your program advisors, be sure to bring your Limited Enrollment Student Checklist with you.
Interested applicants for any of our limited enrollment programs should contact Paige Kearns at [email protected].
ADMISSIONS: All HEATT programs have limited enrollment. Students can enter programs in the fall or spring semester, as follows:
- Complete the Application for Admission to Wake Tech online and follow application instructions, including requesting your high school and (if applicable) college transcripts and indicating the code or codes for your major on the application.
- Schedule to take the RISE Placement Test (see if you are Exempt).
- Meet with an advisor to review your placement test scores.
- Meet with the HEATT department head to verify program codes and selected pathway.
- Find out your start date. If the program you choose is full, the department head can recommend general education courses that can be taken until an opening occurs.
For more detailed admissions information, visit http://admissions.waketech.edu.