College Closed for Memorial Day

Wake Tech is closed on Monday in observance of Memorial Day. Prospective students can still apply online, and current students can register for classes. The college will reopen at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Frequently Asked Questions

Students who have been out of high school more than 10 years may be required to take the placement tests to meet prerequisites to coursework.

Please contact the department head or program directors for advising.

  • The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree requires 68-72 semester credit hours (depending on the program) and takes two years (six semesters) to complete.
  • A diploma requires 40-43 semester credit hours and can be completed in four semesters.
  • A certificate requires 15-18 semester credit hours and can be completed within two semesters. Certificates also don't require general education (math or English) courses.

Tuition, books, uniforms and equipment are estimated at less than $9,000 for the Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs and less than $6,000 for the Hospitality Management program. Financial aid is available to help defray those costs.

Part-time is fine; classes may be taken one at a time. We also offer evening and online classes. You can receive a certificate or diploma in Hospitality Management, Culinary Arts, or Baking & Pastry Arts. You can also receive an associate degree in one of these three disciplines by adding daytime classes.

Most classes are offered more than once a year. Some, such as classes in the Baking degree program and many HRM classes, are offered only one semester per year. Check with an instructor or your advisor for more information.

Most HRM classes are online, but the majority of the CUL and BPA classes are in person.

Students enrolled in the Culinary Arts, Baking & Pastry Arts and Hospitality Management programs work with a Student Services advisor during their first semester at Wake Tech, and then a faculty member is assigned as their advisor for the duration of their program. Students may contact advisors at any time. Students can find out their advisor's name by going to "My Profile" in WebAdvisor.

The Wake Tech Bookstore and a variety of local stores stock these items.

All students should come to class with the required textbook, a notebook and a pen. The CUL-140: Basic Culinary Skills and CUL-142: Fundamentals of Food classes require the students show up for the first day of class in full uniform.

To be eligible to participate in the Work-Based Learning program, a student must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete at least 14 credit hours of curriculum-related course work at Wake Tech
  • Have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher
  • Obtain a faculty advisor recommendation in writing (signature on the co-op application)
  • Demonstrate satisfactory personal appearance, attitude and ability to work
  • Meet health requirements
  • Be legally authorized to work in the United States – be prepared to produce a Social Security card, birth certificate and/or driver's license

Wake Tech programs enjoy a very high placement rate. Graduates manage or work at a number of local restaurants and hotels, as well as at local country clubs, caterers and bakeries. In addition, several are employed as personal chefs in the area. As Raleigh continues to grow, opportunities will increase. As you progress through the program, your advisors can help direct you toward the kind of work that most interests you.

A degree in Hospitality Management offers almost unlimited possibilities. The Triangle continues to grow rapidly, venues such as the Raleigh Convention Center and four-star hotels need educated, qualified managers. Students interested in travel also will find that hospitality is truly a global field.

It is very important that students find the career that fits their style, and we try to help students with that fit. They learn about the wide variety of opportunities in HRM-110 Introduction to Hospitality.

Upon graduation, Restaurant Management students are typically assistant managers of chain restaurants if they have worked as hourly associates. They usually move up quickly. District manager positions are limited to those with a college degree from Wake Tech or another school.

Hotel Management students are typically assistant general managers of limited-service properties of 150 or fewer rooms if they have worked as hourly associates. If the hotel is a full-service hotel of 300 rooms or more, they are typically assistant managers of different departments, such as front desk, sales or food and beverage, provided they have had some hourly work experience.

Flavors reservations are handled through a lottery system, but you first must submit a request.

Each lottery opens two weeks prior to the date of service. Select the date you wish to dine with us and enter the number in your party. The computer-generated lottery is run a week before that date, and you will be notified by email if you have been selected. You will be prompted to send an RSVP email to confirm your reservation.