2017 Capital Improvement Projects
The Wake County Board of Commissioners has appropriated funds for new projects on several Wake Tech campuses. The FY 2017 Capital Improvement Plan totals $24.4 million dollars for these new projects as well as $1 million for the IT infrastructure required to expand online programs.
This year’s budget includes funds for the following:
- $6.6 million for RTP-2, RTP Campus - These funds will be used for planning and design of a second classroom building on the RTP Campus in Morrisville. Construction on the 80,000 square foot building is scheduled to begin in 2018. This project includes a 315-space temporary parking lot, as well as a 200-space permanent parking lot. RTP-2 will house programs tied to the Research Triangle Partnership’s Clusters of Innovation:
- Pervasive Computing -- IT Network Management, IT Storage & Virtualization
- Interactive Gaming and E-Learning -- Computer Programming, IT Software and Web Development, Mission Critical Operations, and Simulation & Game Development
- Informatics -- Business Analytics, IT Data Science and Programming Support
- Defense Technologies – Cyber Security, IT Information Systems Security
- Cleantech – Business Administration, Business Analytics, IT Computer Programming, IT Software & Web Development
- Corporate and Business Solutions – customized training
- $6.27 million for Automotive & Collision Repair, Northern Wake Campus - These funds will be used for planning and design of a 90,000 square foot building on the Northern Wake Campus. The project includes 70,000 square feet of automotive/collision repair lab space and 20,000 square feet of classroom space. Construction is slated to begin in FY 2019.
- $2.85 million for Facilities Management and Warehouse Building, Southern Wake Campus - These funds will be used for planning and design of a 47,000 square foot facility on Southern Wake Campus. The facility will house offices, as well as a carpentry shop, metal shop, HVAC, plumbing, and electrical repair shop, a paint booth, key shop, landscaping equipment repair, outdoor/indoor storage, a warehouse, and inventory control. Construction should begin in 2018.
- $3.87 million for Campuswide Repair & Replacement Projects - These funds will be used for planning, design and construction for projects that will include HVAC equipment, HVAC controls upgrades, elevator repairs, building envelope upgrades, electrical systems, life safety equipment (fire alarms and sprinkler systems), library building restroom upgrades, minor capital equipment replacements, and building alterations.
- $4.25 million for Campuswide Infrastructure Upgrades - These funds will be used for planning, design and construction for projects that will include security camera upgrades and additions, installation of cellular signal repeaters, and exterior wayfinding signage upgrades. They also include pedestrian and vehicular accessibility upgrades on the Main and Perry Health Sciences campuses, Northern and Southern Loop Road extensions on Southern Wake Campus and parking lot and roadways repaving at Southern Wake Campus.
PLEASE NOTE: Interested contractors, vendors and designers wishing to provide services for the construction projects listed above should respond to the Request for Proposals (RFP) and Invitation for Bids (IFB) as advertised through the State Interactive Purchasing System (IPS), the News & Observer and the Greater Diversity Newspaper.