Strategic Planning and Assessment (SPA) Priorities
Strategic Planning and Assessment (SPA) supports Enrollment and Student Services (ESS) strategic priority to expand a culture of assessment and evaluation for data-informed decision-making.
- Create and lead an evidence-based culture
- Promote outcome-oriented thinking and data-informed decision-making
- Build talent and increase assessment knowledge
- Develop infrastructure to facilitate efficient, systematic, and reliable assessment
- Support the use of technology to advance assessment
- Connect assessment to strategic planning, decision-making and resource allocation
- Cultivate ethical assessment practice
ESS has placed emphasis on strengthening and improving assessment as a professional competency within the division. The boards of the American College Personnel Association (ACPA) and the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) formally adopted 10 professional competency areas that are essential for student affairs educators. The Office of Strategic Planning and Assessment promotes the Assessment, Evaluation, and Research (AER) Competency, in which professional growth shifts from understanding to larger scale applications that cut across departments or divisions.
Assessment helps build and maintain a substantial body of evidence that demonstrates that the student’s out of class experiences contribute to their learning, personal development, academic achievement, and retention. ESS seeks to be more transparent with sharing, promoting and celebrating assessment activity with the public. Equally important for ESS is to use assessment information to show the effectiveness, worth, and quality of our programs, services, and interventions.
SPA is impacting Wake Tech in multiple ways by improving time management, better resource utilization, and showing others why and how ESS does assessment and use that information to continually improve the college experience for students.