Mission, Vision, & Goals
Academic Advising at Wake Technical Community College teaches students to develop and implement their education and career plans to reach their goals.
Academic Advising delivers engaging learning experiences integral to student retention, completion, and success.
Goals and responsibilities
The Center for Academic Advising believes that students and advisors share the responsibility for the nature and quality of the advising relationship, resulting in learning by both parties.
Academic Advisor Responsibilities:
- Provide professional, courteous, and timely student service.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Explain college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Educate students about available resources and services.
- Make appropriate referrals.
- Encourage students to utilize Career and Employment Resources to define and develop career interests and individualized goals.
- Empower students to gain decision-making skills and take ownership for their education plans and achievements.
- Guide students in their program-planning activities consistent with their career and education goals.
- Teach students skills to monitor their academic progress and seek assistance as needed.
- Clarify personal values, goals, and career interests.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Use information from various sources to inform education decisions.
- Participate in career exploration activities as appropriate.
- Prepare for each advising session with questions or material for discussion.
- Provide advisors with accurate information regarding your interests and aptitudes.
- Ask questions when a specific concern or an issue is not clear.
- Accept responsibility for decisions made.
- Prepare for course selection for the following semester.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who meet regularly with Advisors in Wake Tech’s Advising Department will be able to:
- Develop an education plan that aligns with career goals.
- Utilize the resources and services on campus to achieve education and career goals.
- Demonstrate decision-making skills and ownership for their education plans and achievements.
- Select courses each semester according to their education plan.