Plus 50 Lifelong Learning
Plus 50 Sites and Programs
In addition to courses offered at various Wake Tech campuses and sites, we offer programs at senior centers, community and recreation sites throughout Wake County:
|Apex Community Center||919-249-3402||53 Hunter St, Apex, NC 27502|
|Cary Senior Center||919-469-4061||120 Maury Odell Pl, Cary, NC 27513|
|Eastern Wake Senior Center||919-365-4248||323 Lake Drive Wendell, NC 27591|
|Garner Senior Center||919-779-0122||205 E Garner Rd, Garner, NC 27529|
|Northern Wake Senior Center||919-554-4111||235 E Holding Ave, Wake Forest, NC 27587|
Example offsite courses include yoga, dance, Spanish, and scrapbooking. One must register at the specific senior center for these courses and to see the list of classes available.
Become an Entrepreneur
You may have dreamed of starting a business or turning hobbies or volunteer work into a money-making operation. Wake Tech's Small Business Center and Entrepreneurship Initiatives programs have resources to help get you started. Talk with an SBC advisor (live and in person!) in a free, confidential session, any time questions arise.
Retired to Re-hired!
Going back into the workforce can be daunting: You may wonder about your tech skills or generation gaps in the workplace - or you may be seeing a challenge you haven't identified yet. Wake Tech's Career Transitions Forum is a great place to start. This unique, weekly series of lectures and networking activities brings professionals together to share ideas and experience in a supportive environment.
Course Details & Registration Information
- study the demographic trends and changes in the aging population
- learn to communicate effectively with older adults and their caregivers
- learn the common diseases associated with aging
- learn about diversity among older adult groups
- Review maps of where older adults live in the U.S. Examine changing demographics of older adults. Learn what it means to be an "older adult".
- Demonstrate communication techniques that are ineffective with older adults. Describe effective communication techniques to help older adults and practice them. Explain how to use social media to enhance communication. Learn how to strengthen communication between older adults and their caregivers.
- List and describe chronic diseases and disabilities that are associated with older adults and how the wellness revolution can make a difference. Understand depression in older adults. Explain symptoms of Alzheimer's and related dementias.
- Outline ethnic and cultural diversity in older adults. Describe gender and sexual orientation issues associated with older adults. Understand the diverse responses to aging and death.
- The educational components of all NCCAP Certifications are modular building blocks. Each module is based on the foundation of person-centered care through activities and engagement.
- Attendance 90% or above
- Activity Director
- Certificate in Aging Studies Part 1 - NUR-3279G3
- Certificate in Aging Studies Part II - NUR-3279H3