English as a Second Language (ESL)
Wake Tech's ESL program provides English instruction to adult, non-native-English-speaking residents of North Carolina, with a focus on college and career readiness skills.
The application for ESL classes will reopen July 11.
Summer ESL classes begin in July.
Questions about starting ESL classes? Watch this.
- ESL class seats are limited and in high demand.
- English level will be assessed at registration.
- 75% attendance is required for continued enrollment.
- Students ages 16 and 17 require special paperwork.
Opportunities for adjunct ESL instructors
- We are hiring teachers for online and seated classes.
- Teacher-led, interactive, online classes
- For students who want to join a virtual English class to get a job or go to college
- Classes good for non-speakers through advanced levels.
- Develop college and career readiness skills, including technology, civics and workplace skills through reading, writing, listening and speaking experiences
- For more information, call 919-334-1501.
Online citizenship preparation classes
- For intermediate to advanced ESL students
- Learn the naturalization process and citizenship exam content
- To apply for Citizenship class, use the ESL online class application.
- For more information, call 919-335-1058.
Independent ESL online learning
- Learn at home on the internet using Burlington English software with instructor support
- Individualized online curriculum to develop your career readiness and communication skills
- Students must connect to Zoom for class orientation, registration and testing only
College & Career Readiness attendance expectations
Success in our program requires time, hard work and commitment. To support your success, our attendance policy requires that students attend at least 75% of their class meeting hours.
The College & Career Readiness program is delivered through hourly instruction. Therefore, regular attendance is defined as arriving on time and participating in the entire class period. Students who are unable to meet this requirement will be dropped from their classes.
Regular attendance will help you in the pursuit of your educational and career goals. It will also allow students to preregister for classes in our next quarter (at locations where preregistration is an option).