Beyond the Basics
Beyond the Basics is a series of advanced English classes designed for non-native English speakers. Areas of focus include Advanced Conversation and Fluency, Pronunciation, Business Writing, and Interpersonal Skills for the Workplace (negotiating, problem solving, decision making, nonverbal communication).
Classes typically meet once per week for seven or eight weeks, and there is a small fee. All instructors hold current credentials in the field of language instruction.
Course Details & Registration Information
- be able to identify and differentiate vowel sounds and minimal pairs as evidenced by their performance in classroom activities.
- be able to choose the focus word in a sentence and de-emphasize structure words as evidenced by their performance in classroom activities.
- Week 1: Introductions, Course Overview, Diagnostic Test, Vowels and Vowel Rules
- Week 2: Syllables, Word Stress, Vowel Length
- Week 3: Word Stress, Vowel Clarity
- Week 4: Word Stress Patterns
- Week 5: Sentence Focus - Emphasizing Content Words
- Week 6: Sentence Focus - De-emphasizing Structure Words, Choosing the Focus Word
- Week 7: Course Review, Diagnostic Re-Test
- Attendance 80% or above
- Participants may receive a course completion certificate if they are absent no more than twice in seven class meetings. Attendance is not required at make-up classes.
- Beyond the Basics: Business Writing for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711E2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Grammar for Non-Native English Speakers - COM-3711F2
- Beyond the Basics: Advanced Conversation and Fluency - COM-3711Z3